Leather jackets look great and are quite comfortable to wear. This jacket can make you look more attractive in any situation. Unfortunately, leather jackets will generally harden over time, especially if the jacket is not worn often. Fortunately, there are several ways to soften a leather jacket again. Generally, leather jackets that are often worn will return soft by themselves. If the jacket still feels stiff, try the alternative methods below to make your leather jacket soft again!
Method 1 of 2: Flexing the Leather Jacket
Step 1. Put on a leather jacket to make it stretchy
This method may sound too simple, but the results may be quite effective! The skin will harden if left too long. Wearing a leather jacket on a regular basis may be able to make it soft again. Therefore, wear your leather jacket regularly.
- Movement of your body and arms when wearing a jacket. Bend your elbows, raise your arms, and twist your arms to soften the leather jacket.
- How often a leather jacket needs to be worn depends on your needs. It's best to wear a leather jacket every few weeks.
Step 2. Fold and roll the leather jacket
Treating the jacket "roughly" might help. Try rolling, tossing, and folding a leather jacket. This may soften the leather jacket again and make it more comfortable to wear.
After softening it, put on a jacket so that the shape fits your body shape
Step 3. Wet the jacket to soften it
This may sound odd, but water is believed to help soften the skin. If you plan to leave the house when it's drizzling, try wearing a leather jacket. If you live in a dry area, or don't want it to rain, you can spray the jacket with a little water. Spray water on the surface of the jacket to soften it. The leather jacket will soften and conform to your body shape.
- This should be done when it is drizzling, not when it is raining heavily. If it rains heavily, dry the jacket immediately before hanging it in the closet.
- You can also condition a leather jacket by wearing it in various weather conditions, such as during the dry or rainy season. These various weather conditions will make the jacket look more attractive.
Step 4. Move your arms so that the jacket conforms to your body shape
While the jacket is still wet, this is a good time to flex it. You can move and rotate your arms, bend your elbows, swing your arms, and perform other normal movements. When the jacket dries, it will follow this movement making it softer when worn.
Step 5. Continue to wear the jacket until it dries
After putting on the jacket when it rains or spraying some water on the surface, continue to wear the jacket until it dries. By doing this, the jacket will soften and conform to your body shape.
If it's raining heavily, you can wipe the jacket with a clean cloth so it doesn't get too wet
Step 6. Wipe the jacket with a cloth so it doesn't get too wet
Even though the jacket looks dry enough when you put it on, it may not be completely dry. While water can soften a jacket, keeping a wet jacket in the closet can damage it. Always wipe the jacket with a cloth or towel before storing it in the closet.
- You may need to hang a wet jacket to dry before putting it in the closet.
- Allow the jacket to dry at a normal temperature. Do not dry the jacket using a heater so that the skin does not stiffen again.
Method 2 of 2: Conditioning the Leather Jacket
Step 1. Clean the leather jacket before conditioning it
Before applying conditioner to a leather jacket, you need to clean the dust and dirt that sticks first. You can wipe down the jacket with water and detergent, or a cleaner specifically designed for cleaning leather. Remember, clean the leather jacket first before applying conditioner.
- You will also need to dry the leather jacket. Wipe the jacket with a towel and then hang it to dry at a normal temperature.
- If you can't wash your leather jacket yourself, take it to the dry cleaners.
Step 2. Apply leather conditioner to the surface of the jacket
Pour a small amount of leather conditioner on a clean cloth and then wipe it on the surface of the leather jacket. Make sure the entire surface of the jacket is coated with conditioner. When finished, hang the jacket to dry. After conditioning, the leather jacket will feel softer.
- Instead of keeping the jacket in the closet, you can put it on right away. This can help adjust the jacket to your body shape
- In general, leather conditioners can last for 6-12 months. You may need to apply conditioner 1-2 times a year to keep the jacket soft.
Step 3. Try using castor oil to condition a leather jacket
Castor oil is believed to soften leather jackets. Pour the oil on a clean sponge and then wipe it all over the jacket. Leave it for a few hours for the oil to absorb completely. After that, store the jacket in the closet.
- You can buy castor oil at the nearest pharmacy.
- If the jacket still feels stiff, you can repeat this process a few times.
Step 4. Apply petrolatum to the surface of the jacket
Petrolatum can also help soften your leather jacket. Rub a small amount of petrolatum on the surface of the jacket and let it soak for a few hours. When you're done, you can store the jacket in the closet.