Origami is a very fun art of paper folding. A heart shape is a simple but effective origami to fold, and the result can be used as a Valentine's Day gift or decoration, a token of love, or to decorate anything you make out of paper.
Part 1 of 3: Creating a Pyramid Shape
Step 1. Prepare a sheet of letter or A4 size paper
You can also use square origami paper measuring 15 cm x 15 cm. Thinner paper is better suited for origami, because thicker paper is difficult to fold and folds open easily.
- Avoid small paper the first time you try, as the folds will be more difficult and frustrating. If you want to make the heart shape larger, use a larger sheet of paper.
- If you want to depict a specific design, divide the image into two parts, the image will be the center of the heart. Decorations can also be added when you finish folding the heart shape.
Step 2. Turn the paper over to the white side
Then fold the top corner of the paper down so that it meets the left corner of the paper. Unfold it, and do the same on the other corner, do not unfold the paper.
If you're using A4 paper instead of origami paper (which has a white side), you don't need to turn the paper over to the white side
Step 3. Fold the bottom of the paper in half
Fold it so that the white side (or the inside of the paper) is no longer visible.
Make a sharp crease by pressing your fingernail along the crease. Neat and sharp folds will make your origami look more beautiful
Step 4. Unfold at the top of the paper
You should now have two diagonal hollows on the paper.
Step 5. Make horizontal folds
Fold the top of the paper down horizontally, so that the crease is tangent to the cross in the center of the paper. Then, unfold the paper.
Step 6. Flip the paper one more time
Take the right and left sides of the paper (in the area marked by the horizontal hollow) and pull them toward the center of the paper. When you pull it out, the other two folds of the paper should also fold. Pull the two sides of the paper so they touch each other.
You may need to try making this pyramid shape a few times, especially if you are new to the art of origami. You should get a shape that resembles a triangle on top of the rectangular block below it
Part 2 of 3: Making a Diamond Shape
Step 1. Fold the bottom corner of the triangle so that it meets the top
Only fold the top layer of paper, not both. Make the same fold on the other side; you should now have a diamond shape.
Step 2. Fold both sides to meet the diamond shape
Take the left side of the paper, and fold anything that is not part of the diamond shape you made in the previous step to the center. Make the same fold on the other side.
Step 3. Make a vertical hollow
Fold the entire shape you made in half vertically, then unfold it, and flip it over.
Step 4. Fold the bottom corner up
Take the two bottom corners and fold them up, so that they meet in the middle. Fold it so that what was previously the bottom edge is parallel to the vertical line that runs through the center.
Step 5. Fold the top wing
Fold the triangle-shaped wings up and down, as far as possible before crossing the horizontal line. At the top of your fold there should now be three separate wings, two small, and one large. Fold the large one down.
Part 3 of 3: Finishing the Heart Shape
Step 1. Hide the corners
Insert the two corners you folded from the bottom up into the space inside the triangular wing.
Step 2. Fold the top of the crease
Fold the two remaining crest wings down sideways.
Step 3. Hide the corners again
Insert the corner of the wing into the space inside the large wing.
Step 4. Check the finished heart shape
You should now have an origami of heart.
- Look carefully at the drawing before folding to reduce unnecessary creases in the paper.
- Practice. If you're new to the art of origami, these crafts may be quite difficult to make, and you may not succeed at first trying them out.
- I suggest making it on scrap paper first, because the steps you take may still be wrong, and you can practice more.
- Try writing a note in it, and follow the instructions to hide it.
- You can put this origami in an origami box and give it to someone else.