Men can be fat and unfit for many reasons. The good news, you can do various ways to lose weight and get the ideal body shape. With dedication and commitment, you can improve your fitness and improve your metabolism to lose weight faster.
Method 1 of 3: Burn Calories Fast
Step 1. Start practicing circuit training
The circuit training program is a combination of several movements to train large muscles throughout the body. Rapid alternations of movement increase the rhythm of the heart rate so that it is faster than other exercise programs, thus burning more calories. So, practice circuit training regularly to burn more calories and lose weight faster. You can do some useful moves in each circuit session, for example in the following order.
- Burpees 3 sets of 10 each.
- Squats 3 sets of 10 times each.
- Bench press 3 sets of 10 times each.
- Lunge 3 sets of 10 times each.
- Move quickly to reach your maximum heart rate and burn as many calories as possible.
Step 2. Do sprints
Unlike long-distance running, you need to run short distances as fast as you can while sprinting. This exercise increases the rhythm of the heart rate quickly and is very beneficial for burning fat in a short time. The explosive sprint movement is also beneficial for building leg and abdominal muscles while increasing endurance and lung capacity. To sprint, follow these steps.
- Stand on a straight 90-meter running track.
- Warm up, for example by walking or jogging.
- Stretch thoroughly after warming up. If not stretched properly, explosive sprints can injure or tear muscles. Stretch for 10 minutes before practicing your sprint.
- Start running at the start of the 90-meter track and then sprint all the way to the end of the track. For beginners, do not immediately sprint with maximum speed. Run at half your maximum speed to make sure you're in good shape and avoid injury. Gradually increase your running speed with each workout.
- Walk slowly to the beginning of the track. If you're still tired when you reach the start of the track, rest until you're ready to sprint again.
- Do 6-10 sprints per session and practice 2-3 sessions per week.
- When sprinting, wear running pants with a supporter for athletic training or at least size-fitting tights. If you don't wear a tracksuit with a supporter, rapid movement can injure your groin or testicle muscles.
Step 3. Perform muscle strengthening exercises
Many people think that aerobic exercise is the only way to lose weight, but muscle strengthening exercises are also very much needed. For beginners, weight training is beneficial to increase the body's metabolism. This way, you'll burn more calories in the hours after you finish strengthening exercises. In addition, muscle burns calories more efficiently than fat. So, muscle building exercises are beneficial for burning more calories even when you are resting.
- Read the wikiHow article on how to build muscle that explains how to build muscle as a result of burning calories.
- For men, the right exercises to enlarge muscles, for example, do dead lifts, pull ups, and squats. These exercises are beneficial in increasing the large muscle groups in the back, legs, and biceps. For detailed information about this exercise, click here.
Step 4. Do a variety of exercises
Maybe you exercise regularly, but don't get the results you expect. In fitness training, this condition is called a plateau. Your body is used to the exercise routine that has been done so far, so it doesn't have a significant impact. Set up a completely different workout schedule to completely change your fitness program.
- Change the sequence of movements that have been trained. For example, if you're used to doing moves to work your abs, triceps, biceps, back, and legs in sequence, change the order.
- Perform different movements to work the same muscle group.
- Change the order of movement every few weeks to avoid a plateau.
Step 5. Be aware of the increased risk of injury
Maybe you really want to lose weight as quickly as possible. However, if you are obese (with a body mass index of 30 or more) or have not exercised in the past year, you could be injured if you go straight to a high-intensity exercise program. This actually makes you unfit. Don't train beyond your ability in a short time.
Be aware of your limitations. Try to remember when you last exercised and how often you regularly walk around the room (for example, do you work walking all day or stay in a chair?), have had any recent injuries or illnesses, and how old you are now
Method 2 of 3: Lose Weight by Dieting
Step 1. Make sure your body is always well hydrated
In addition to providing various health benefits, drinking water is a way to increase the body's metabolism. When the body is dehydrated, the metabolism slows down. This means you have to burn more calories, making weight loss more difficult to achieve.
Step 2. Eat more protein
Protein is needed to build muscle and increase metabolism. This is because the body burns a lot of calories when digesting food, so the metabolic rate remains high if protein is part of your diet.
Useful protein can be obtained by eating chicken, salmon, sardines, eggs, tofu, low-fat milk, low-fat cottage cheese, nuts, and legumes
Step 3. Eat healthy fats
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States and a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol is a leading cause of heart disease. Healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and compound fats, can lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Healthy fats are found in salmon and sardines, olive oil, avocados, and nuts.
- When consuming healthy fats, do not exceed 25-35% of your calorie intake from fat because it will increase weight if too much.
Step 4. Adequate iron needs when dieting
Iron deficiency slows down metabolism. Therefore, make sure you eat foods that contain lots of iron. Iron intake can be obtained by eating a variety of shellfish, red meat, lentils, legumes, and spinach.
Step 5. Eat complex carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are needed when dieting to build muscle. If there is no carbohydrate intake, the body will burn protein as a source of energy so that it cannot be used to enlarge muscles. There are 2 kinds of carbohydrates. The body takes longer to digest complex carbohydrates than simple carbohydrates so that the body's metabolic rate remains high if you eat these foods.
Complex carbohydrates can be obtained by eating products from whole grains, tubers, green vegetables, and legumes
Step 6. Add spices to food
Spicy foods, such as cayenne pepper, give your metabolism a boost once you're done eating. Although not very long, consuming the spice regularly provides lasting benefits for the metabolism. Add 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder to food to make it more delicious and increase metabolism.
Step 7. Eat lean meat
In general, men like good quality steak, but red meat is not good for health. If you want to eat meat, choose lean meat by eating poultry and limit the consumption of red meat to a maximum of 3 servings per week.
Do not eliminate red meat altogether from the diet. Lean beef and pork contain very little fat and cholesterol so they can reduce waist circumference and maintain health. The United States Department of Agriculture informs the content contained in lean meat as follows: in 100 grams of meat there are no more than 5 grams of fat (overall), 2 grams of saturated fat, and 95 mg of cholesterol
Step 8. Calculate your daily calorie intake
Make sure you record your daily calorie consumption so you don't overeat. Read the labels on food packaging carefully and record all the menus eaten. This method helps you regulate your diet by monitoring how many calories you consume compared to your daily calorie limit. Replace low-calorie, high-calorie menus with low-calorie, nutrient-dense foods and snacks.
Use the app to log calorie intake. There are several applications that help you calculate your calorie consumption accurately
Step 9. Don't diet to extremes
Some people think that they can lose weight by consuming very few calories each day. You can lose weight, but this method is not useful. First, the metabolism will slow down so that the calories consumed last longer in the body. Second, the muscles will shrink so that the burning of calories is reduced. If you want to lose weight, extreme dieting is not the right way.
Method 3 of 3: Changing Your Lifestyle
Step 1. Wait 20 minutes after eating before adding food
When eating, the body takes 20 minutes to not feel hungry. Thus, food consumption can exceed your needs because you are not full yet. Please be patient to wait up to 20 minutes before adding food. You can eat again if you are still hungry.
Step 2. Don't eat out too often at restaurants
The portions of food served in restaurants are usually larger than what you consume daily, so you eat more than a filling portion. In addition, restaurant food usually contains a lot of sodium, an ingredient that promotes weight gain. Therefore, eat less at restaurants in order to lose weight.
Step 3. Do physical activity consistently throughout the day
If you don't move, your metabolism slows down and you burn calories less efficiently. There are a few tips to keep you active.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Stand up and walk around the room or do push ups while watching TV.
- Walk to nearby locations, instead of taking the car.
- Stand on the bus or train instead of sitting down.
Step 4. Get in the habit of getting a good night's sleep
Lack of sleep slows metabolism and increases appetite. The combination of the two makes you eat more and burns calories inefficiently, which hinders weight loss.
Step 5. Don't drink alcohol
The classic "beer barrel belly" is a major problem for many men. Alcohol contains a lot of calories so that there is a buildup of fat in the abdominal area. If you're looking to lose weight, don't drink alcohol so you don't consume a lot of calories and help you lose excess weight.
- Talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program for weight loss if you have a chronic illness, such as joint pain, diabetes, or another serious illness. Your doctor may recommend certain exercises to prevent activities that put your body under stress that is detrimental to your health.
- Do not forget to record your weight before and after undergoing an exercise program.