How to Treat a Dog Who Eats Chocolate: 8 Steps

Table of contents:

How to Treat a Dog Who Eats Chocolate: 8 Steps
How to Treat a Dog Who Eats Chocolate: 8 Steps

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains a chemical called Theobromine, which can cause an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, as well as sudden attacks of brain disease in dogs. Dogs that have eaten chocolate should be treated immediately, because the more chocolate there is and the longer it stays in the body's system, the more dangerous it will be to the dog.


Method 1 of 2: Seeking Veterinary Help

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 1
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 1

Step 1. Find out what kind and amount of chocolate your dog eats

Make sure that you have the details of the chocolate and the amount of chocolate the dog has eaten when you call the vet. Your vet can give you the best advice if you provide the correct information.

Baker's brand of chocolate is the least toxic to dogs, while white milk chocolate is the least toxic. Half-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate in the middle. The dangerous dose of Theobromine ranges from 9 mg to 18 mg for every 450 grams of chocolate. The average Baker's chocolate contains 390 mg of Theobromine per ounce (28.34 grams), half-sweet chocolate contains 150 mg per ounce (28.34 grams), and milk chocolate contains 44 mg per ounce (28.34 grams)

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 2
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 2

Step 2. Call your vet for advice as soon as possible

The vet will tell you what steps to take, either by bringing the dog to the vet's office or directing you with steps you can take at home to help the dog.

Small amounts of chocolate may only cause diarrhea and digestive problems. However, the best option you can make is to contact your vet no matter how much chocolate your dog eats, as reactions can vary

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 3
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 3

Step 3. Take the dog to the vet, if that's what the vet recommends

Veterinarians have the knowledge, staff, drugs, and equipment to treat dogs who overdose on chocolate.

  • Veterinarians have a drug that can make dogs vomit if the chocolate has been ingested within the last hour or so.
  • In some cases, the dog may need to be hospitalized for one night and a 24-hour emergency hospital is the best option.
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 4
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 4

Step 4. Call an emergency vet if your regular vet isn't open

Accidents don't always happen during working hours, so if you need advice outside of working hours, then find an alternative vet to advise or treat your dog.

There are several clinics that specialize in providing emergency veterinary care. Such clinics are usually open long hours each day and are also a good place to take your animal when you are in trouble

Method 2 of 2: Making the Dog Vomit

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 5
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 5

Step 1. Try to make the dog vomit when advised by the veterinarian

This should only be if the chocolate is swallowed before more than an hour and signs of nervous symptoms (tremors) have not been seen. Keep in mind that there may be deadly complications when you try to make your dog vomit.

Give a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to the dog. Mix it with water in a ratio of 50:50. You may spill a lot of it if you give it with a spoon, so it's a good idea to keep an oral spray sprayer in your dog's emergency kit

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 6
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 6

Step 2. Watch your dog for about 15 minutes

Take him outside and watch him carefully. You can do this by walking your dog. The outdoors will also be a better place for the dog to vomit.

If the peroxide does not cause the dog to vomit after 15 minutes, give the same dose again and wait

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 7
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 7

Step 3. Don't give any more peroxide

If your dog is still not vomiting after 30 minutes, don't give him any more peroxide. Too much peroxide can harm your dog.

There are some possible side effects from taking hydrogen peroxide, even if only once. Possible side effects include mild to severe irritation and inflammation of the stomach and esophagus, aspiration (the entry of something into the lungs that can cause death), and the formation of bubbles in the bloodstream (also potentially lethal)

Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 8
Treat a Dog Who Ate Chocolate Step 8

Step 4. Try giving your dog activated charcoal as a last resort

Activated charcoal helps by preventing the intestinal absorption of the toxic elements contained in chocolate. The general dose of activated charcoal used is 1 gram of charcoal powder mixed with 5 ml (one teaspoon) of water for every kilogram of the dog's weight.

  • This is really a last resort to help a dog in the absence of professional veterinary care, and should ideally only be done when recommended by a veterinarian.
  • Do not give activated charcoal to a dog who is vomiting, showing symptoms of tremors, or symptoms of a sudden attack of brain disease. It will be fatal for dogs if the charcoal gets into the lungs.
  • It is very difficult to feed large amounts of charcoal to dogs without a stomach tube, and you will need to repeat this process every 4-6 hours for 2-3 days. Keep in mind that your dog's poop will be black in color and he may become constipated.
  • Also, one of the serious side effects of giving charcoal is an increase in sodium levels in the blood which can cause tremors and sudden attacks of brain disease. The resulting symptoms will look like symptoms of nerve problems caused by chocolate poisoning.
  • You have to be careful when adding charcoal because charcoal can leave stains like black plastic on fabrics, carpets, and paint on walls, and are usually permanent.
  • If your dog doesn't eat charcoal on its own, mix activated charcoal with a small amount of canned food and then you may need to squirt it into your dog's mouth. Unfortunately, this will increase the risk of possible harm because there is a possibility that the charcoal will enter the lungs, so this method is not recommended.
  • Avoid using charcoal with Sorbitol on a regular basis, as this will increase the chances of diarrhea and dehydration as well as more serious complications in the dog.


  • Invest in pet insurance before you have an emergency. There are many companies that provide health insurance for pets, so try to find out and find the type of insurance that suits you economically. There are types of insurance that only cover emergencies, and there are other types of insurance that provide more comprehensive insurance for "everyday" situations. Whichever insurance you choose, you can save a lot of money and can get care for your pet when he needs it in an emergency.
  • Store and organize pet emergency kits. Basic supplies needed include (but are not limited to) spray for medicated or rinsed wounds, gauze to clean wounds or control bleeding, iodine solution to disinfect wounds, tongs, scissors, dog leash, dog mouth guard, surgical plaster, cotton balls, and hydrogen peroxide.


  • Excessive amounts of peroxide have the potential to have a more harmful effect on dogs. Never give more than two doses of peroxide. It's even better if you only give hydrogen peroxide on a vet's recommendation.
  • Don't let your dog eat chocolate again, even if the dog doesn't react physically after eating it. Different types of chocolate will have different effects. Don't take the risk. Store chocolate in a safe place out of reach of your dog.
  • You may not be able to take care of your own dog. Call the vet as soon as possible.
  • The fat contained in chocolate can trigger vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, even if dogs do not consume dangerous doses of Theobromina. On the other hand, inflammation of the pancreas can be a secondary reaction when the dog ingests chocolate (triggered by the fat content), which can be treated by sticking to a bland diet (lean soft cheese and white rice) for a few days, or it may also be a condition caused quite serious enough to require hospitalization.

Popular by topic