Vicks VapoRub is a classic topical cough suppressant that can be purchased without a prescription. This drug is most often used to reduce cold symptoms and can also relieve muscle and joint pain. Using Vicks VapoRub is easy, but you have to know where to apply it. You should also know that Vicks VapoRub doesn't really cure a cold or flu, and you should seek medical attention if cold symptoms persist after more than 2 weeks.
Method 1 of 2: Applying VapoRub as a Cough Suppressant
Step 1. Rub a dab of VapoRub onto your palms
Take a small coin-wide VapoRub into one of your hands. After that, rub your hands together to spread them all over your palms.
Rubbing it first will warm the VapoRub and make it more pleasant to apply
Step 2. Apply VapoRub to chest and neck
Massage VapoRub so that it absorbs into the skin and covers the entire area. Continue to massage until VapoRub forms a thin layer over your skin.
Step 3. Let the clothes around the neck and chest remain loose
Leaving clothes loose will allow VapoRub vapor to reach your nose and mouth better. This will enhance the effect of VapoRub and make it work faster.
Step 4. Reapply VapoRub up to 3 times a day
When the VapoRub's effect wears off over time, you can reapply it. To avoid skin irritation, apply every few hours. Do not apply it to the neck and chest more than 3 times a day.
- VapoRub should not be used for infants under 2 years of age.
- Stop using VapoRub if your skin becomes irritated.
- See a doctor if symptoms persist after more than 2 weeks.
Step 5. Do not apply VapoRub under the nose
VapoRub contains a chemical called camphor which can be toxic if absorbed through mucous membranes or if ingested. Although usually applied under the nose, VapoRub should not be used in this way.
Method 2 of 2: Using VapoRub for Muscle and Joint Pain
Step 1. Rub a layer of VapoRub onto your palms
Take a small coin-sized VapoRub in your hand and rub the two together. Spread a layer of VapoRub evenly over the palm of your hand.
Rubbing your hands warms the VapoRub
Step 2. Rub VapoRub over the affected surface
Pay attention to the pain your body is experiencing and identify exactly which muscles or joints are painful. VapoRub's hot sensation can relieve pain. Rub VapoRub until it absorbs into the skin and covers the entire muscle or joint.
Step 3. Repeat the application process 3-4 times a day
When VapoRub's effect wears off against clothing or yawning, apply it back to sore muscles. Give a break between each use for a few hours and do not use it more than 3-4 times per day because it can irritate the skin.
If you notice a rash or skin irritation, stop using VapoRub immediately
- Vicks VapoRub should not be used for infants under 2 years of age.
- If you notice any skin irritation, stop using VapoRub.
- In case of contact with the eyes, VapoRub can cause permanent damage to the cornea. So, never apply it near the eyes.
- VapoRub cannot be used to reduce belly fat.
- VapoRub will not promote body hair growth.
- Vicks VapoRub cannot be used as a nasal decongestant. The strong smell of menthol tricks the brain into thinking that your nose isn't stuffy.
- There is no reliable scientific evidence to show that applying VapoRub on the feet can reduce cold or flu symptoms.