The ability to overcome weaknesses is an important aspect that helps you to achieve success, for example to build healthy relationships, get a better job, or simply want to lose weight. Start by determining the aspects of life that need improvement, changing the paradigm about weaknesses, and trying to overcome weaknesses by taking the following steps.
Method 1 of 3: Identifying Weaknesses
Step 1. Write down an unpleasant life experience
As you go about your daily life, there are things that happen the way you want them to and things that you don't want. To find out your weaknesses, write down the failures or disappointments you have experienced. Make a list by noting life experiences that are not as expected.
For example, if you repeatedly fail to maintain a relationship for several months, record this experience on your list
Step 2. Find out why you experience the same thing over and over again
Weakness can be determined if repeated experiences are caused by the same thing. Once you know your weaknesses, you can determine how to overcome them. The chances of living a better life in the future will be even greater if the weaknesses have been overcome.
For example, if you have poor interactions with family members and coworkers, you may have a communication weakness
Step 3. Ask for feedback
Asking for feedback from people you trust is a great way to find out your weaknesses because you may not know it yourself. Ask your boss, partner, or other people who know you well.
Don't get defensive when other people give feedback. Thank him for being willing to give honest feedback so he can stay open to you
Step 4. Determine the things that need to change in your life
If certain aspects of your life feel unsatisfactory, one of the reasons is that you feel like you don't know or are not able to live them well. Try to determine whether there is a correlation between these weaknesses and the changes you want to make. You may find that the change you desire stems from an inability to do certain things.
For example, you might want to have a cleaner home and a tidier office, but problems may occur because you are not able to keep your home and office tidy. Recognizing weaknesses is the first step to overcoming them
Method 2 of 3: Redefining Weaknesses
Step 1. Question the benefits of weakness for you
Your thoughts create weakness not without purpose, namely to protect or help you in some way. The sooner you figure it out, the sooner you'll know how to positively address the problem and free yourself from the weakness of not being needed anymore.
- For example, weakness makes it difficult for you to interact with people you don't know. This may stem from the teaching that people you don't know are bad people and you should protect yourself by staying away from them.
- Remember that everyone has flaws. Instead of thinking about being unskilled or not understanding a particular subject, focus on your strengths. For example, you may not understand math, but you can feel proud that you are good at writing.
Step 2. Use strengths to overcome weaknesses
There are various ways to complete a task or solve a problem. Instead of focusing on incompetence, complete tasks using the skills you have. This method makes you feel confident and able to do things better than you imagined.
For example, maths can be stressful, but you can use a computer well. Use the computer by typing all the data to prepare a financial budget and then let the computer do the math to help you
Step 3. Rely on social networks
One of the sources of strength in all situations is relationships with other people. Acknowledging that you need help in a certain way allows you to involve team members and others when working on assignments. In addition, you can learn to overcome weaknesses by observing how other people complete tasks.
If you're not sociable or don't feel like you need to rely on other people, this could be a sign of weakness! Read the wikiHow Stop Thinking that Accepting Help is a Sign of Weakness so you can rely on others
Step 4. Work on building strengths by overcoming weaknesses
Improve your skills by taking courses, workshops or trainings. Find a mentor who can help you develop yourself and overcome weaknesses. Read motivational books or seminar materials over the internet. If you have weakness caused by an emotional breakdown, consult a counselor to address the issue.
A therapist or mental health professional can help you identify patterns and habits of thinking and behaving to make positive changes in your daily life
Method 3 of 3: Overcoming Weaknesses
Step 1. Develop the most appropriate action plan
After identifying weaknesses, prepare a plan to address them. Determine the target to be achieved and the deadline. For each goal, determine the concrete steps that must be taken so that you stay focused and successfully reach the target.
- For example, if your weakness is feeling nervous when speaking in front of an audience, aim to appear confident when giving a presentation. Plan steps that you can take, such as writing presentation material, giving a presentation in an empty room, in front of one person, then in front of several people. In this way, you will feel confident enough to speak in front of large groups of people.
- Share your goals with others so that you are committed to achieving them. Have a reliable friend or mentor watch over you from time to time to see how far you are progressing.
Step 2. Use your strengths to build self-confidence
While working on your weaknesses, work on developing your skills to increase your self-confidence and keep you consistent over your weaknesses. In addition, you will emerge as a person who has the competence and skills while continuing to develop various abilities.
For example, if you are very good at writing a speech, help the other person prepare the speech until you are ready to give a speech yourself
Step 3. Appreciate every success you achieve
Weaknesses are called weaknesses for some reason. Remember that you have to work hard and have a strong determination to overcome it. Even if you fail to reach the target, appreciate the effort that has been made. This will keep you positive, so you feel motivated and continue to work on your weaknesses.
- Even if you haven't mastered the technique of public speaking, respect yourself when you give your opinion in a meeting or give a presentation in front of coworkers.
- Celebrate every success you achieve, for example by taking a photo so you can remember it, uploading a photo on social media, or taking friends to dinner at a restaurant.