With the right technique and patience, you can build a card tower of three, four, or even five floors using a deck of cards. With the right technique, your tower will look awesome when you're casually building it indoors or when you're using it for party tricks.
Step 1. Take out a pack of cardsIt's best to use relatively new cards - old cards that are brittle and bend will be difficult to use, but really new cards will be too slippery; see Tips. An attractive card design usually makes the tower look more beautiful.
Step 2. Choose two cards from the packPlace the two cards 5 cm apart and lean them back so that they form an upside-down “V”. The "/\", or peak, shape must be able to stand balanced when placed on a surface.
Step 3. Build one more peak beside the first one; leave a distance of about 1 cm between the two
Step 4. Place one card horizontally on top of the two peaks
Step 5. Make one more peak on top of the card you laid out horizontally
Now you have two floors.
Step 6. Add one more peak in addition to the existing two peaks and repeat the previous process
If the base of the tower has three peaks, you can create three floors. If the base of the tower has four peaks, you can create four floors, and so on.
Step 7. Done
- After placing the last peak, the highest peak on the tower, make sure you lower and lower your hands slowly.
- Don't turn on the fan while building the tower!
- If you need help spacing out the cards, build the base of the tower on top of the Lego slabs.
- Calm down and be patient! If you rush, the tower may fall or your foundation will be weak.
- Get up on a non-slip surface. The slippery surface will make the card slip. Try it on the carpet and away from stuff.
- Breathe sideways so you don't drop the tower!
- If the cards slip frequently when placed together, your cards may be too new or have never been used. The edges of the new card do not adhere well. Try using the card first, but don't damage it.
- Make sure your hands are not greasy! Wash with soap if oily.
- Standard sized playing cards are the best choice.
- Lick the edges of the card before placing it, but don't get too wet as the wet card won't work.
- Don't use bent cards as they will damage your tower.