The McDonald's Monopoly game is easy and fun, but only comes around once a year. Therefore you must be ready to play when the time comes. Here's what you need to know about how to play and win big prizes in this game.
Part 1 of 5: Getting Game Pieces
Step 1. Purchase food from a McDonald's location
The standard way to get pieces of the McDonald's monopoly game is to buy certain foods. Some foods give four pieces, and some two pieces.
- The two-piece meal includes:
- 10 pieces of chicken McNuggets
- Filet-o-Fish Sandwich
- Big Mac
- Medium and large iced McCafe and mixed drinks
- Large iced McCafe coffee and extra large Minute Maid orange juice
- Medium size fountain drink
- Maple & fruit oatmeal
- Egg, sausage or egg and Egg White Delight McMuffin Sandwich
- Hash brown
- Premium McWrap
- The four-piece meal includes:
- Big French Fries
- 20 pieces Chicken McNuggets
Step 2. Make a request by mail
Since McDonald's claims Monopoly to be a "no-buy" game, they provide several ways to get discounts without having to buy. This method is still subject to shipping costs, but is still much cheaper.
- Include a stamped envelope with your address. Your address must be written by hand.
- The return address on the outer envelope must match the recipient's address on the reply envelope.
- Send your letter by the exact deadline. In 2013, the deadline was 12 August 2013.
- Destination addresses may change annually, and the addresses for 2013 are:
- 2013 MONOPOLY Game at McDonald's Game Piece Request
- P. O. Box 49419
- Strongsville, OH 44149-0419
- You will receive a total of four game pieces for each mail request. There is no maximum limit for the number of requests.
Part 2 of 5: Collect Pieces and Win Prizes
Step 1. Get the game board
Board games are available at most McDonald's locations. Boards can also be downloaded from the internet.
- As you collect pieces for the various Monopoly locations, peel the back of each piece and glue them to the appropriate locations on the board.
- The game board is not an essential tool. Your pieces are still valid even without a game board, but a game board allows you to track pieces more efficiently, so it's a good idea to have one.
Step 2. Collect property sets to win
If you collect all of a particular highway or railroad property, you will win the prize specified for that property set. The prizes keep changing every year, but the rarer sets will be more valuable and win bigger prizes.
- For 2013, the prizes for each property set are:
- Mediterranean Avenue (Mediterranean Ave. & Baltic Ave.) - Prize $1,000
- Short Line Railroad (Reading Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad, B. & O. Railroad, and Short Line Railroad) - Shell fuel for one year
- Vermont Avenue (Vermont Ave., Oriental Ave., & Connecticut Ave.) - $5,000 Prize
- Virginia Avenue (Virginia Ave., St. Charles Place, & States Ave.) - Prize $10,000
- Tennessee Avenue (Tennessee Ave., St. James Place, & New York Ave.) - Super Bowl XLVIII Tour for two (2) from EA SPORTS
- Kentucky Avenue (Kentucky Ave., Indiana Ave., & Illinois Ave.) - Delta Vacations Tour for two (2) people to any Delta Vacations destination
- Ventnor Avenue (Ventnor Ave., Marvin Gardens, & Atlantic Ave.) - Prize $20,000
Pennsylvania Avenue (Pennsylvania Ave., Pacific Ave., & North Carolina Ave.) - 2014 FIAT 500L
- Boardwalk (Boardwalk & Park Place) - $1,000,000 Prize
Step 3. Instantly win
In addition to the main prize by collecting pieces sets, you can also get direct prizes just by peeling the pieces marked with the direct prize. Most of the direct prizes are food prizes, but cash prizes and other prizes are available. Note that the prizes may vary each year, and the direct prizes for 2013 are:
- Food gifts:
- Medium French Fries
- Quarter Pounder with cheese
- Small Frappe or Smoothie
- Regular McFlurry or Fruit 'N Yogurt Parfait
- Any breakfast sandwich (excluding McMuffin®)
- 1 night DVD or Blu-Ray rental on Redbox
- Bundle of 40 My Coke Rewards points
- Arch Card worth $5
- $10 Promotion Code from EA SPORTS
- Shell Gift Cards worth $10
- Hasbro Mono Monopoly Board
- Shell Gift Cards worth $25
- Shutterfly 8×8 Photo Book
- $50 cash
- EA Sports video games
- UrBeats Earphones
- $100 cash
- Panasonic LUMIX® TS20. digital camera
- Beats by Dr Dre. pill form voiceover
- Panasonic VIERA®. 50-inch Plasma HDTV
- NHL® All-Star weekend excursion
- EA SPORTS Ultimate game room
- $5,000 cash
- EA SPORTS NFL Experience Game
- Beach resort vacation
- Ace Hardware home improvement $7,500
- NFL Pro Bowl Experience
- 2013 FIAT 500 Hatchback
- 2013 FIAT 500 Cabrio
- $20,000 cash
- $100,000 cash
Part 3 of 5: Claiming Rewards
Step 1. Know the prize claim deadline
Find out when each prize's claim deadline ends. Food rewards tend to expire a few weeks after the end of the game, while larger prizes expire after a few months.
- For 2013:
Food rewards must be claimed before 26 August 2013
- Redbox prizes and EA Sports video games must be claimed by September 6, 2013
- EA Sports $10 Promotion Code must be claimed before 31 October 2013
- My Coke Rewards points must be claimed before 30 September 2013
- All other prizes must be claimed before 6 September 2013
Step 2. Exchange food gifts at local restaurants
Grab instant win food prizes to be redeemed at selected McDonald's locations.
- This gift cannot be used in conjunction with other coupons or discounts.
- Only one meal reward can be claimed per person per visit.
Step 3. Claim rewards directly with reward partners
Most prizes offered through third party sources must be claimed directly from third party sources.
- Redbox rewards must be claimed at a Redbox location, via the Redbox app, or redbox.com/monopoly2013
- EA Sports Promotion Code must be submitted to promo.easports.com/mcd
- My Coke Rewards® points must be claimed via www.mycokerewards.com
Step 4. Claim cash and merchandise prizes worth less than $600
If the discount or winning code does not have to be exchanged for a special McDonald's partner prize, this prize can be claimed in the store or through the website: www.iwonatmcd.com.
In general, follow the instructions provided in the stub to determine the best way to claim the prize
Step 5. Claim cash and merchandise prizes worth over $600
These prizes can be claimed via the prize claim website (www.iwonatmcd.com) or via the toll-free number provided on the discount, if any.
- Follow the instructions given in the snippet to determine the best way to claim the prize.
- "Prize Claim Documents" will be sent to you by email and must be filled in completely and then submitted to the location provided, to confirm the prize and take care of any legal issues related to the prize.
- Note that vehicle prizes and travel prizes fall into this prize category.
Part 4 of 5: Playing Online
Step 1. Register online on the McDonald's Monopoly website
To play online, you need a McDonald's Monopoly online account. This allows the company to track the codes you have used and the winners.
- Required fields include first name, last name, email address, password, date of birth, telephone number, street address, city, country, and postal code.
Step 2. Get the game code
Game codes can be found in various places. Each code consists of 11 digits, including numbers and letters.
- Game codes can be found in select game pieces when you purchase food from McDonald's locations.
- Some pockets from McDonald's locations also have free codes.
- Game codes can be found via McDonald's official website and other official means of communication.
- You may find free game codes from message boards or unofficial third-party websites.
Step 3. Type your game code into the code box on the internet
At the top of the McDonald's Monopoly website, there will be a box that says Enter Code. Type the 11 digit code into the box and hit the Do It button to enter the grand prize draw and see if you win an outright prize.
- The code does not determine the winner. On the other hand, the online winner is determined based on who submits a valid code at the time of the chosen win that day.
Step 4. Win instant prizes
If you submit the code during your daily win time, you automatically win one of several live prizes online.
- Prizes change every year, but for 2013, live online prizes include:
- One night DVD rental Redbox
- 40 points My Coke Points Rewards
- $10 EA Sports Promotion Code
- 1,000 My Coke Rewards Points
- $50 cash
- Shell Gift Cards worth $40
- EA Sports Games
- $100 cash
- $500 cash
- Prize from Ace Hardware worth $7,500
- 2013 FIAT 500 Cabrio
Step 5. Win top prizes online
Each time you enter an online game code using your registered account, you will enter the online grand prize draw, which ends at the end of the game.
For 2013, the grand prize was the FIAT® 500 Cabrio
Step 6. Follow the instructions to claim your prize
Every time you win a prize through an online game, an email with instructions for claiming the prize will be sent to your registered email address.
Please note that a copy of each prize claim email will also be saved to your account page on the McDonald's Monopoly site
Part 5 of 5: Other Important Rules to Remember
Step 1. Understand the eligibility requirements
There are certain limits on who can play and win at McDonald's Monopoly.
- To qualify for the game, you must:
- At least 13 years old
- Be a permanent resident (United States, Washington, D. C., Guam, Spain, and Puerto Rico)
- You no qualify if:
- You are a McDonald's franchise owner, manager, officer, employee, agent or independent contractor on or after January 15, 2013
- You are an independent director, officer, employee, agent or contractor of any entity involved in the development, production or distribution of game material on or after January 15, 2013
- You are a director, member, manager or officer of any reward partner on or after January 15, 2013
Step 2. Do not trade or buy game pieces
Official rules prohibit the buying and selling of game pieces through unauthorized third parties.
If you are caught buying and trading game pieces, those pieces will be disqualified
- Hash browns are the cheapest food that can be purchased for game pieces.
- For 2013, McDonald's Monopoly ran from July 16, 2013 to August 12, 2013.
- Free online game codes are only valid once for each participant in a given year.