Tired of plucking your eyebrows clumsily using tweezers or hurting the sensitive skin around your eyes with wax? An alternative is threading your eyebrows, a skill that has been around for a long time and involves using a thread to remove hair from your eyebrows or other body parts. Although it takes a little practice, all you need to get started is a thread!
Step 1. Gather the ingredients listed in the Things You'll Need section below
All you really need is a piece of string, but you can draw in the desired eyebrow shape with a pencil or numb the area with cold water or ice first.
Step 2. Tie the ends of the thread together to form a loop
Trim any excess thread outside the knot.
Step 3. Hold the knot in the thread with one hand, then hold the section in front of it with the other hand
Step 4. Twist your hands, without knots, five or six times while holding the rest of the yarn tightly (this is done so that the knot is not in the middle of the yarn)
You will get an hourglass shape or infinite emblem.
Step 5. Practice opening one hand while simultaneously closing the other
It is the twisting of the thread in the middle that will pull out the hairs. Practicing scissor movements will make it easier for you later.
Step 6. Hold your hand so that your fingers are not facing your face, and position it above one of your eyebrows
Step 7. Place the thread triangle, so that the hair you want to pluck is inside
The hair must be plucked in the opposite direction of the hair growth, so you should move the triangular corner points of the thread in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
Step 8. Close the hand controlling the triangle around the feather while opening the other hand
Make sure the thread is still touching the skin, and make a quick counterclockwise motion. The hair will be pulled out this way.
Step 9. Keep practicing threading
It takes a little practice to master this eyebrow grooming technique.
- Also make sure to be able to see the threading process in progress, otherwise you may accidentally damage the shape of your eyebrows.
- Threading can also be used in the area above the lips. Just make sure to tighten the skin by pulling it into your mouth or sticking your tongue under the skin area.
- The same threading technique can be used to groom other people's eyebrows. Ask them to pull the skin around the eyebrows tight with their hands so you don't accidentally pluck the skin (aw!).
- Be careful and only pluck the hair. It will definitely feel a bit painful if it accidentally hits the skin.
- Threading can remove a lot of hair in a very short time. Be careful not to pluck your entire eyebrow.