Usually, people want to stand out to attract attention. However, sometimes we don't want other people to notice. Hiding in plain sight is a trick not to try to be completely invisible, but rather not to attract attention. If you look completely normal in a crowd, you can blend in better like any other camouflage. Hiding in plain sight is done by looking boring and acting normal. Even if you're the kind of person who invites glances, there are plenty of ways to escape unnoticed.
Part 1 of 3: Dressing That Doesn't Draw Attention
Step 1. Hide your traits
Everyone has a physical part that sets them apart from others. A facial feature, tattoo, birthmark, or scar will attract attention because it makes you unique. Recognize these characteristics of yourself, and find ways to cover them up.
- For example, if you have conspicuous eyes, wear sunglasses so you don't show up.
- If you have tattoos on your arms, wear long sleeves.
- If you have a prominent facial structure, disguise it by growing facial hair.
Step 2. Dress modestly
If you don't want to be seen, of course, don't wear flashy clothes, unless you're trying to hide at a formal event. Better to dress like a normal person. Avoid clothing that has a distinctive logo or graphic.
- The clothes worn are mainly determined by the location. For example, if you are attending a formal event, dressing modestly will attract negative attention.
- It helps to know what other people consider "normal."
- Although flea clothes are usually suitable for hiding in plain sight, sometimes old models on used clothes can actually become a trend again.
Step 3. Wear camouflage
If you're out in the wild, wear camouflage gear to blend in with the environment. While camouflage is only useful if you're hiding from a distance, it's the best way to completely hide in plain sight.
Wearing camouflage equipment in public places will actually attract attention. Custom camouflage clothing is only recommended when you have the opportunity to be completely hidden, and not just plain inconspicuous
Step 4. Leave the accessories at home
Accessories such as watches, pins, and brooches, serve to make someone look different. If you want to avoid people's attention, it's best to get rid of all these decorations completely. If you're going to be around other people, a watch or necklace will just add to the appeal of your appearance.
- If you must wearing a watch, choose a simple non-metallic watch. Don't wear a big, flashy, or shiny watch.
- The reason you take off accessories, especially shiny ones, is so they don't reflect light and hit other people's eyes, which could draw attention to you.
- One exception to wearing accessories is when everyone wearing accessories, for example for religious reasons.
Step 5. Dress up without style
While disheveled hair will attract glances from some, a flashy hairstyle will also attract the attention of others. To hide in plain sight, opt for an ordinary and simple hairstyle. Avoid all kinds of aesthetics such as gel or hair dye. Make sure you also keep your hair clean.
- If you usually use hair gel, don't wear it when you don't want to attract attention. Completely natural hair won't stand out.
- If you have a unique hairstyle and don't want to change it just to hide, wear a hooded jacket or hat to cover it up.
- Unusual hair color (usually bright colors) or textured (large hair) tends to attract the glances of others so it's best to cover it with a hat or jacket hood.
Part 2 of 3: Avoiding Public Attention
Step 1. Follow the rules
Behavior that violates the norms will obviously attract attention, especially behavior that violates the law. Besides being threatened with criminal punishment, you will invite a crowd in the crowd. In addition to applying to criminal acts such as assault, minor offenses such as crossing carelessly, or stepping on grass will also invite the attention of others.
Try to stick to the rules in all situations when you're hiding
Step 2. Practice situation awareness
One thing that really helps in hiding from someone is knowing where that person is looking. Even if you try not to get everyone's attention, it helps to know what they're looking at, and what's keeping them busy.
By having good situational awareness, you can avoid areas where many people are usually more alert
Step 3. Follow the behavior of those around you
Mixing in the crowd means following the behavior of the crowd. If at any time you are confused about what to do, take a look at the people around you. Is there a uniform atmosphere around? Do people walk slowly or fast? All these details help you blend in with the crowd.
- Stay near the center of the crowd, but don't really be in the center.
- The least visible place is between the center and the edge of the crowd.
Step 4. Stay still
While you can't always keep quiet, these actions play a big part in keeping yourself under wraps. No matter how long you hide, avoid small talk and interaction with other people. Try to make as little noise as possible, even in fairly busy places. Even a simple cough or sneeze can make people turn their heads towards you.
- When you have to speak, try to lower it to half your normal voice. Speak in such a way that you can still communicate when needed, but not attract unwanted attention.
- If you are traveling abroad, it helps if you can insert a dialect or accent according to the area you are visiting. Foreign accents will instantly set you apart from the locals.
Step 5. Be friendly while chatting
In some cases, you can't avoid having conversations with other people. When this happens, try to be pleasant and friendly, without trying to spark a new conversation. Smile, nod, and agree with what the other person is saying.
- If someone asks about you, answer briefly and to the point. Do not ignore the person because it will attract unwanted attention.
- The word "Yes" will be your best friend when trying to be invisible during a conversation. You can use it to respond to questions and answers.
Step 6. Set the motion
If you're in a stressful situation where you feel nervous, try to keep your movements casual. Be aware of your style and speed of movement. Move with ease, without appearing rushed or nervous.
- A person who walks faster than usual generally makes the person who sees him restless. In this way, you can attract the curiosity and attention of those around you.
- If you have time to prepare, practice in front of a mirror. This way, you can better see what other people see when they see you.
Step 7. Avoid eye contact
Eye contact is important for two individuals to get to know each other. Take your eyes off others around you. A good trick is to keep your eyes glued to the ground 10 meters in front of you. Even if you keep your head down, you don't appear to be deliberately avoiding eye contact.
Remember that there is a difference between casually avoiding eye contact, and deliberately turning away from the other person's gaze. You'll actually attract more attention if someone thinks you're trying to go unnoticed
Step 8. Try to be in a crowd
If you're hiding in a crowded place, don't hesitate to use other people to blend in. Go out in a crowd so you are hard to see. Don't go to the front, side, or back of the crowd because that's the part that's usually checked when looking for someone.
Don't walk in a fairly quiet place. People tend to pay attention to each other when there aren't many people to see
Part 3 of 3: Creating an Effective Cover
Step 1. Use hair dye to change the color to something simpler
Changing hair color is the easiest way to reshape your appearance. If you want to disguise and blend in, it's a good idea to choose a general, natural hair color. In Indonesia, most people have black hair.
Pay attention to the area you are in. If blonde or red hair is more common in these areas, dye your hair that color
Step 2. Disguise your appearance with accessories
Accessories such as hats and sunglasses are effective in disguising one's appearance. Sunglasses and the hat itself are casual accessories that people commonly wear. Other accessories like jewelry and bow ties don't really cover up your appearance, but they can change your style so drastically that you're not easily recognizable.
- If you usually dress conservatively, flashy jewelry and accessories will disguise your normal appearance, even if it attracts the attention of strangers.
- It's best to keep accessories simple and discreet. Appearances that are too eccentric or flashy will attract attention and make people want to take a closer look. They will actually recognize you!
Step 3. Fake age
You can fake your age by wearing makeup. Squint and take a bite. Then, thicken the wrinkles that appear using a pencil. However, you should keep this makeup subtle. Otherwise, you'll look like you're wearing makeup.
If you are elderly, smooth facial skin wrinkles using foundation. You can also dye your hair to cover gray hair
Step 4. Change the way of walking
Take a short walk and identify your walking characteristics. Then, change the way you walk in the desired disguise. The way a person walks can reveal his character and mood, which can help prevent others from recognizing you. As an example:
- If you're trying to look older, walk slower than usual. Try walking with a slight limp or dragging your feet.
- If you usually walk fast, disguise your identity by walking slowly. On the other hand, speed up your pace if you normally walk casually.
Step 5. Puff out the face
If you're in an area with surveillance cameras, it's a good idea to change your facial structure. Blow your cheeks and fill your nostrils with a tissue to change the shape of your face.
- This technique can help you avoid facial recognition technology that might be used to find you.
- Don't do this for a long time because this action (such as puffing your cheeks) can actually attract more attention.
Step 6. Use a fake mustache
Fake mustache is considered the most common and well-known way of disguise. You can buy it at a costume shop. Dab some spirit gum (the substance used to attach fake mustaches to actors, not gum) on the fake mustache, then apply it to your face and allow it to stick firmly.
- If you need a quick disguise and are known for having distinctive facial hair, shave for an instant makeover.
- This method can work even for women. However, you will need to use contouring to make the face look more masculine.
- Look at pictures of animals in camouflage for inspiration if you want to hide in plain sight. Some animals can change the color of their skin to hide from predators.
- While hiding in plain sight can be an effective tactic, sometimes hiding places can be more reliable.
- Your ability to hide depends on how strong the searcher's desire is to find you.
- A simple hat can be your best friend because it covers the face and many people wear it. Choose a baseball cap or toque.
- In addition, a simple jacket is also quite effective in the cold months. Padded jackets can change the shape of your body, while other types of jackets will disguise it.
- If you're trying to hide because you're in danger, you should leave the area as soon as possible. Ask for help if needed.
- While hiding can be helpful at times, you shouldn't get used to it. Generally, you should be proud to let others see who you are.