Many people want to experience the benefits of proficiency in all aspects of life. The concept of "capable" began to develop in the Renaissance era, with the term "Renaissance man" being used to describe contemporary humans such as Leonardo da Vinci. It's not easy to find the right path to become a bus driver. However, you can become a more capable person by pursuing your interests, enriching your experiences, and pursuing higher education.
Part 1 of 3: Enriching Experience
Step 1. Try to explore the life around you
In order to become a proficient person, satisfy your curiosity by exploring things that happen in everyday life. Broaden your horizons and develop new perspectives by doing various activities, for example by traveling to new places, tasting new foods, and exploring new hobbies.
Develop your abilities and perspective by leaving your comfort zone so that you can become a capable person
Step 2. Do a new activity
One way to enrich your experience and broaden your horizons is to explore new activities you are interested in or fulfill the invitation of others to join their activities. Even if you are less interested, these activities are still useful because you can gain more knowledge and become more proficient.
- Do an artistic activity, for example: painting, dancing or playing music. You can also train by choosing a new sport activity or joining a sports team. Explore a new hobby, for example: cooking or collecting old money.
- Be open to new activities, even if they may feel uncomfortable at first. If a friend asks you to watch a sci-fi movie, take up the offer, even if you're not interested. Seeing new things through the other person's point of view enables you to appreciate them.
Step 3. Get involved in a community or activity in your neighborhood
Getting involved in the community, for example through political activities, gives you the opportunity to meet many people who have different opinions. Exposing yourself to different perspectives in your community is one way to become a capable citizen.
- Explore the possibility of participating in the political activities of certain parties so that you get the opportunity to broaden your horizons through various perspectives and opinions.
- If you don't understand the topic at hand, don't shy away. Use this to develop yourself by staying involved in the discussion while learning new things.
Step 4. Travel as often as possible
You have endless learning opportunities by visiting many places, especially if you study life and culture abroad. As you travel, you will be exposed to different perspectives, histories and opinions that make you a more capable person.
- On the way, even just by traveling to another city nearby, you will see a different life and this can also broaden your horizons.
- Visiting other countries is a great way to broaden your perspective, but you can also get the experience at home. For example, if you live in a coastal area, you will notice how different the lifestyle of people in mountainous areas is. This will change your perspective in living your daily life.
- Choose a location you've never been to. Traveling to tourist destinations that you often visit will only give rise to a stereotypical impression so that traveling to new places is less useful.
Step 5. Taste new foods, if you get the chance
Besides being good for health, tasting food with a new taste makes you appreciate other people and different cultures more.
- If you live in a big city, finding new foods and cuisines is usually easier. You just have to walk around the city to find restaurants with menus from different cultures.
- Plus, you can cook new dishes yourself by searching for recipes in cooking guides or on websites.
- You can even try using cutlery, napkins, or special accessories that come with the dish.
Step 6. Meet new people
Everyone has perspectives and opinions that are shaped by their experiences. You will become a versatile person if you often interact with people who have new information.
- Before meeting new people, remind yourself that what you think is right may not necessarily be true or best.
- Interact with people with different racial, cultural, age, socioeconomic, and religious backgrounds. Also meet people who have physical limitations. They can provide a new perspective through a different lifestyle and mindset.
- When meeting new people, ask for their perspective and what it's based on.
- In order to become a proficient person, make it a habit to invite other people to talk to improve your conversational skills.
Step 7. Volunteer or help others
Sharing kindness or helping others can be a good opportunity to see other people's personal experiences. Helping others by volunteering will improve your perspective and help you become a better person.
- Volunteer at a hospital or soup kitchen. In addition to cultivating positive feelings, you can learn new things by having discussions when you meet the people you are helping.
- Plus, you can become a good person by helping friends and family members.
Part 2 of 3: Expanding Knowledge
Step 1. Get in the habit of educating yourself
One of the important aspects of being a versatile person is to educate yourself by continuing to learn or utilizing various sources. You can't grow or improve if you don't have knowledge. Educating yourself by expanding your knowledge in various fields is the most effective way to become a proficient person.
Take advantage of various sources to educate yourself. Taking courses, reading, watching documentaries, or simply chatting with other people are some ways to get new information that will help you develop yourself
Step 2. Take a course or continue your education
Register for continuing education or training by attending courses, lectures, or other professional training. Developing intellectual skills exposes you to different perspectives and helps you develop into a capable person.
- You can take courses, lectures, seminars, or other educational programs by listening to lessons in class or online. Many universities open classes to the public by studying material or participating in lecture activities uploaded on the website.
- Training and self-development that utilize practical experience is also very beneficial to increase your knowledge and skills.
Step 3. Read a variety of media and sources of information
Reading a wide variety of publications exposes you to different opinions and perspectives. This method helps you develop yourself and become a versatile person.
- Seek information from various media, for example by reading newspapers, magazines, websites and books. Documentary shows are also a very effective way to get new information.
- Reading for 20 minutes is enough to increase your knowledge.
- Make sure the sources you read are structured around multiple perspectives. For example, if you're reading information from liberal politicians or new sources, compare it to information from conservative politicians or other sources to learn about the perspective underlying the issue or argument they are raising.
Step 4. Visit museums and cultural centers
Get new information and experiences by visiting museums and cultural centers or via the internet. This method helps you develop yourself to become a more capable person.
- You can find many things in museums or cultural centers. Consider a visit that gives you the opportunity to develop your interests and satisfy your curiosity.
- If you can't visit the museum you're interested in, find out if it has a website. Today, many museums have websites that you can use at least to view collections of historical objects through pictures.
Step 5. Develop your opinions and perspectives
Take advantage of new experiences and information to develop your opinions and perspectives. The ability to use these aspects in your daily life shows that you are a versatile person.
- Try to look at the big picture and improve your ability to become a proficient person by taking advantage of new information and experiences.
- Remember that you don't have to agree with other people's opinions. You can pick and choose the things you like from their perspective based on what you learn while doing research.
Part 3 of 3: Balancing Personal and Professional Life
Step 1. Focus on your life, not work
If you have a great personal life, your professional life will usually be fun too. Try to make enough time for family and friends to make it easier for you to focus at work.
Establish a routine at work and at home. If possible, make it a habit to arrive at work at the same time and leave work at the same time each day. Take into account the time you use to work overtime so as not to take up time for lunch breaks
Step 2. Love what you do
Use this wise message as a guide: “If you love what you do, in your lifetime, you never work, even for one day”. You can be successful and find a balance between your personal and professional life if you love your profession.
Work will feel like an obligation if you don't love it. This tends to make you lazy to work and not willing to take the initiative that supports your success
Step 3. Don't be afraid to take risks
You must be willing to take risks to change your professional and personal life so that you can achieve success and happiness. Don't make rash decisions. Make decisions with well-considered risks.
Take calculated risks, not risks that hinder your own professional and personal life
Step 4. Pay attention to your physical and mental health
You can't be a good person if you don't pay attention to your physical and mental health. Learn to take care of yourself and make time for fun. Exercising is very beneficial for relieving stress, triggering endorphins, and increasing energy.
- Walking a few minutes a day will refresh the body and mind to prevent fatigue. For example, taking part in a 5K race helps you overcome personal and professional problems because you have to train to stay healthy.
- The ease with which other people contact you via cell phone, email, and social media leaves you with the much needed time for yourself to stay healthy by minimizing the input you have to process every day. For example: turn off electronic devices at 8 pm so you still have time to give yourself time or gather with family.
Step 5. Make time for rest and vacation
Taking a 10-minute break every day or taking a full day's vacation will help you achieve success. When you rest, you can recover, overcome fatigue, and lead you to success.
- Take time to rest while working so that your brain and body are relaxed and fresh again.
- Make an annual schedule for vacations. Although taking a 10-minute break can relieve stress during work, an annual vacation by leaving work for a few days will restore the condition of your body and mind to be ready to move again.
- If you don't have time off, try traveling on the weekends instead.