This wikiHow teaches you how to create a Gmail account, which is the email address associated with Google. Gmail accounts can be created on both desktop computers and mobile devices.
Method 1 of 2: On a Desktop Computer
Step 1. Visit the page to create a Gmail account
Run a web browser on your computer and visit https://www.google.com/gmail/about/#. A page containing information about Gmail will be opened.
Step 2. Click CREATE AN ACCOUNT
It's a red button in the top right corner. The first page in the account creation segment will open.
Step 3. Type in your first and last name
Enter your first name in the " First name " text box at the top of the page, then type your last name into the " Last name " box next to it.
Step 4. Create a Gmail username
In the " Username " text box, type the username you want to use as the email address. This name will appear in front of the "@gmail.com" section of your email address.
If your preferred username is already in use by someone else, you will need to choose a different name by clicking on a different text box on the page
Step 5. Type in the password twice
Enter your password in the "Password" text box at the bottom of the page, then retype it in the "Confirm password" box to the right of the first password box.
You must enter the same password in order to continue
Step 6. Click NEXT
It's a blue button at the bottom of the page.
Step 7. Enter the account recovery options
Although not required, you can add up to two account recovery options to your Gmail profile:
- Phone number - Enter a phone number in the " Phone number " text box at the top of the page.
- Recovery email address - Enter another email address in the " Recovery email address " text box at the top of the page.
Step 8. Enter your date of birth
Click the " Month " drop-down box, then select your month of birth. Next, type the date and year in the " Day " and " Year " text boxes, respectively.
Step 9. Determine the gender
Click the " Gender " drop-down box, then select a gender in the resulting drop-down menu.
Step 10. Click NEXT
It's a blue button at the bottom of the page.
Step 11. Verify your mobile number
If you are using a mobile number for account recovery options, do the following to verify it:
- Click SEND when requested.
- Open a text message on your phone.
- Open a message sent by Google (usually a 5-digit number) and review the 6-digit number in the message.
- Type the 6-digit number in the text box on the Gmail page.
- Click VERIFY.
- You can also click the link not now to skip the account recovery option verification process at this point.
Step 12. Scroll down the screen and click I AGREE
It's at the bottom of the terms of service list on the left side of the page. By doing so, you are accepting the terms of service. Next, you will sign in to your Gmail account.
Method 2 of 2: On Mobile Devices
Step 1. Download Gmail
If you don't have the Gmail app yet, go to Google Play Store
(Android) or App Store
(iPhone) on your phone, then do the following:
- iPhone - Tap Search, tap the search field at the top of the screen, type gmail, tap gmail in the drop-down menu, tap GET to the right of " Gmail - Email by Google ", then type in your Apple ID or Touch ID password.
- Android - Tap the search field at the top of the screen, type gmail, tap Gmail in the drop-down menu, select INSTALL, then tap ACCEPT.
- If you have Gmail installed on your mobile device, skip this step.
Step 2. Launch Gmail
Tap OPEN in the phone's app store, or tap the red and white Gmail icon. A blank login page will open if no account is logged into Gmail on the mobile device.
- If an account is logged into Gmail on your phone, tap ☰ located in the upper left corner, tap the current email address, tap Manage accounts, tap Add account, tap Google, then skip the next two steps.
Step 3. Tap SIGN IN at the bottom of the screen
- If you are already logged in using another account, tap ☰ in the top-left corner, then tap the profile photo for the account. Next, tap Add account, then tap an option Google at the top.
Step 4. Tap on the More options link located at the left of the screen
This will bring up a menu.
- If there is an inactive account stored on your phone, first tap Use another account on this page.
Step 5. Tap Create account
This is the only item on the menu.
If you're already signed in to Gmail, this option is in the middle of the page, not in a menu
Step 6. Type in your first and last name
Tap the " First name " text field, then enter a first name. Next, enter the last name in the "Last name" text field.
Step 7. Tap on the blue NEXT button on the right of the page
Step 8. Enter your date of birth and gender
Select the month of birth, type in the date and year, then select gender in the drop-down menu Gender.
Step 9. Tap the NEXT button
Step 10. Create a username
Type the desired username for the Gmail account into the "Username" field. This name will appear in front of "@gmail.com" in the email address.
Choose a username that no one else has used. If the name has been chosen by someone else, you must use a different name
Step 11. Tap the NEXT button
Step 12. Create a password
Enter the password in the "Create password" text field, and retype the password in the "Confirm password" text field.
Step 13. Tap the NEXT button
Step 14. Type in the phone number
Enter the phone number in the "Phone number" text field. This number will be used to receive text messages.
- Maybe you will find a link Skip on the left of the page. If so, you can skip the step to enter a phone number by tapping on the link.
Step 15. Verify the phone number
Tap VERIFY when prompted, then open the text message that Google sent, review the six-digit code in the message, enter the code in the "Enter code" text field, then tap NEXT.
- When you tap Skip in the previous step, skip this step.
Step 16. Scroll down the screen and tap I AGREE
This option is at the very bottom of the page, to the right of the screen.
Step 17. Tap NEXT
A new Gmail inbox will open. Now you can add contacts, manage messages, and so on.