Are you having trouble maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse? As many as 50 percent of men over the age of 40 have also experienced it. As millions of men will attest, erectile dysfunction can be very frustrating and have a negative impact on relationships and self-confidence. The good news is that there are several ways to treat erectile dysfunction, from lifestyle changes to medical or herbal remedies. If you want to know how to treat erectile dysfunction so you can feel happy again in the bedroom, keep reading.
Method 1 of 3: Making Lifestyle Changes
Step 1. Forget your dislike of doctors' clinics
Millions of men who experience erectile dysfunction (ED) each year feel too embarrassed to talk about it with a doctor. ED is a very common disorder, but is not considered a "normal" part of aging. ED is often a signal that there is a health problem that needs to be treated. Before trying to treat ED on your own, it's important to make an appointment with your doctor and clear up any other issues that may be affecting your ability to maintain an erection.
- Talk to your doctor about your vascular health. If you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or high blood sugar, it's possible that one of these conditions has damaged the arteries in your heart, which can cause ED.
- Heart disease and diabetes are two serious conditions that often start with ED. If you have one of these two disorders, medication should be able to help you deal with erectile dysfunction.
Step 2. Exercise regularly
Really. Make it a priority to get out or go to the gym and walk, run, swim, bike or do strength training at least 4 times a week. According to one study by Harvard, walking 30 minutes a day lowers the risk of ED by 40%. Regular exercise helps blood circulation, thereby pumping your blood throughout the body. When it comes to maintaining an erection, good circulation is key.
Step 3. Keep your weight low
A larger waist circumference is associated with a higher rate of ED. Trying to lose weight can lead to big improvements in the bedroom. Make sure you eat a healthy diet that is full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats.
- Avoid processed foods and foods made with flour and refined sugar.
- Replace high-calorie drinks with plain water or tea.
- Eat healthy snacks like nuts, carrots and apples and avoid fast food or sugar-laden foods.
Step 4. Quit smoking
Smoking can make ED worse, because smoking blocks the blood circulation system and is linked to diseases that cause ED. If you have problems maintaining an erection, now may be the time to quit smoking for good.
If quitting now seems impossible, cut back as much as you can. If you can limit cigarettes to a few cigarettes a day, that's better than smoking a full pack
Step 5. Avoid alcohol
Alcohol is another substance that has a major impact on erections. After a few drinks, many men of all ages find it very difficult to stay hard.
Step 6. Exercise your pelvic floor
The pelvic floor helps the penis stay firm during an erection by compressing the blood vessels so that blood continues to flow around the penis until the erection is complete. Men who exercised the pelvic floor had better results in treating erectile dysfunction than those who relied solely on lifestyle changes. So how do you strengthen these internal muscles? Kegel exercises.
- To find your pelvic floor, tighten the muscles you need to tighten when holding your pee.
- Tighten and release the muscle 8 times, then rest and do 8 more. Continue for 3 or 4 sets of 8 counts.
- Do Kegels every day at least once a day.
Method 2 of 3: Coping With Anxiety
Step 1. Remove stress from your life
Anxiety is one of the biggest causes of ED. If you can find ways to reduce stress, you are more likely to maintain an erection. Think about the biggest source of stress in your life right now. What can you do to relax yourself more?
- If your schedule is busy from morning to night, think about what activities you can give up to give yourself more time.
- Turn off all electronic devices at least an hour before bedtime. You will get better sleep, which is very important for reducing stress.
- Spend more time in the great outdoors. Breathing fresh air and being outdoors are great ways to calm anxiety.
Step 2. Practice mindfulness
Do you find yourself distracted by worries instead of enjoying the moment during sex? Mindfulness is the state in which you are truly in the present moment, both physically and mentally. Clear your mind and focus on the sensations your body feels during sex.
When sex has become routine and triggered by stimulation, revive your sex relationship by adding new sounds, textures and smells. For example, use massage oil or play music that will put you and your partner in the right mood
Step 3. Communicate with your partner
Do you feel comfortable and accepted in terms of sexual performance? If you're worried about your ability to meet your partner's unreasonably high expectations or live up to a certain standard, it will be more difficult for you to maintain an erection. This is called performance anxiety. If you think your partner's judgment may be hindering your ability to have satisfying sex, you should communicate your needs and find ways to make things more interesting.
Step 4. Learn more about sex
If you have deep anxiety or guilt related to sex, then these negative emotions may be causing your ED. Learning more about sex is a great way to feel more comfortable with your body and a better understanding of your needs in bed. Read about sex techniques or take positive sex workshops as a way to open your mind to new possibilities and increase your sense of well-being.
Method 3 of 3: Trying Medicine and Therapy
Step 1. Take ED medication
Viagra and similar drugs can help men maintain an erection for several hours at a time. This drug works by increasing the effect of nitric oxide, which the body naturally produces to relax and increase blood flow to the penis. If you are interested in taking medication specifically designed to treat ED, talk to your doctor for a prescription.
- It is important to treat the underlying problem that may be causing ED, rather than relying solely on medication to treat the problem.
- ED medications may not work, or may be dangerous, if you are on other medications or have had a stroke or heart disease.
Step 2. Consider injections or suppositories
If you prefer not to take medication, you may be able to use an injection or a suppository to put alprostadil into the penis just before you want an erection. Side effects include pain and accumulation of fibrous tissue in the penis
Step 3. Learn about testosterone replacement therapy
If your doctor has determined that your ED is caused by low testosterone levels, testosterone replacement therapy may be the right solution for you. Talk to your doctor about starting this program.
Step 4. Try a penis pump
This tool is a hollow tube with a hand pump. A tube is placed on the penis and a pump is used to create an erection. A ring is placed at the base of the penis to maintain blood flow. If you are interested in trying a pump, talk about what model is right for your needs.
Step 5. Consider implants
An inflatable or semi-rigid implant is placed on the penis, allowing you to have greater control over your erection. Because implants can cause infection, doctors usually give the opposite advice unless all other methods have failed.
Step 6. Learn about natural remedies
If you are not interested in aids and medications, see a homeopathic practitioner who can advise on what natural remedies might help you with your ED problem. Although no studies have been done to prove the efficacy of this treatment, some men find that acupuncture, herbal remedies, and "herbal Viagra" can be useful.
- Do not take supplements or extracts without consulting your doctor first.
- Korean red ginseng supplements, dehydroepiandrosterone, and l-arginine have been used by men and have had amazing effects.
Step 7. Ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction:
Ayurvedic herbs such as Withania Somnifera, Mucuna prurins, Chlorophytum Arundinaceum, Asparagus Aacemosus, Tribulus Terrestris, etc., have been known for centuries to have beneficial effects on male sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction. Scientific research conducted on this herb uncovered mechanisms of action and other health benefits. Alternatively, in Homeopathy, Agnus Castus and Onosmodium are recommended. This natural remedy can help men with erectile dysfunction and help them restore sexual health. Scientific research on this herb provides a guide and a foundation of truth for the use of Natural Aphrodisiac.
- You can easily start a conversation with your doctor by saying, "I think I have a problem in bed." or "My sex life is not what it used to be." ED is a very common case. What you tell the doctor is nothing new. Remember, 50% of men over the age of 40 have ED. You are NOT alone!
You can always try drugs like Viagra for as long as your doctor allows. Remember that your doctor is the only person who can tell you which medicines are good for you. He might even have a sample. You can also contact the Viagra Customer Service Center. They have professionals who can answer your questions as well as send you educational information. None of what you say will be new to them. They talk to hundreds of people a day SAME AS YOU!
Before you consider buying an ED product that is prescribed by a doctor, you should make sure that the product is legal
- If current treatments (i.e. Viagra, Cialis, etc.) are not working for you, then consider seeking out new treatments developed recently. For example, unlike Viagra and the like, which target "channel" problems for those with erectile dysfunction, a new drug under development called Bremelanotide targets libido or the arousal aspect of sexual performance. This treatment, which was also tested on women with arousal disorders, would be suitable for men who are physically able to produce an erection but have problems with arousal.
- Remember to talk to your doctor about any medications before taking them.
- Viagra ACTUALLY can only be obtained with a doctor's prescription. Don't be fooled by advertisements selling Viagra on the Internet or in newspapers. The drugs are fake and illegal. It can even be dangerous because you don't know what it contains.