Do you find the facial cleansing products you bought at the store are not suitable for your skin? Try making your own natural facial cleanser. This natural facial cleanser is easy to make, and it's great for your skin!
Method 1 of 4: Using Honey to Cleanse Your Face
Step 1. Consider using honey to clean your face
Honey is a natural exfoliant, so it can help you get rid of dead skin cells without the abrasive and harsh nature of salt and sugar scrubbing. Honey is also a good moisturizer and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. Lastly, honey is also a natural antiseptic. This means that honey not only helps remove toxins from the skin, but also helps kill acne-causing bacteria.
- Honey is suitable for all skin types.
- Honey is not suitable for use as a makeup remover. For this purpose you may want to consider using oil. If you want to know how to make an oil-based facial cleanser, check out the section on using oil to clean your face in this article.
Step 2. Protect your hair and clothes
Since honey can be drippy, sticky, and messy, it's a good idea to drape a towel over your chest and tie your hair into a ponytail. If you have short hair, you can simply pull it back and pin it with a small bobby pin or use a shower cap.
Step 3. Moisturize your face with water
Bend over the sink and splash warm water on your skin. This will help thin the honey, making it easier to apply evenly on your face.
Step 4. Pour honey into the palm of the hand
You will need about teaspoon of raw honey. Gently stir the honey with your fingers to soften and warm it. If the honey is too thick, you can add a few drops of warm water to thin it out and make it easier to use.
Step 5. Massage honey into your skin
Spread the honey on your fingers, and gently rub it into your skin in circular motions. Make sure you avoid the sensitive area around the eyes.
Step 6. Clean the honey using warm water
Splash warm water on your face, and massage your skin gently with your fingers until all the honey is removed.
If you have blackheads and want to deep clean your pores, let the honey sit on your face for five to ten minutes before washing it off
Step 7. Dry your face
Use a soft, clean towel and gently pat your face dry. Don't rub your face with a towel, or you risk irritating your skin.
Step 8. Consider continuing with moisturizing and toning
Moisturizer will help retain skin moisture, and toner will help rebalance skin's natural pH while tightening pores.
Method 2 of 4: Using Oil to Cleanse Your Skin
Step 1. Take a small bowl or bottle
You'll be mixing two types of oil, so you'll need a container to hold it in.
Step 2. Pour in the castor oil
The amount of castor oil depends on your skin type. Here's the amount of castor oil you need to use, based on your skin type:
- If you have oily skin, use 2 teaspoons of castor oil.
- If you have normal skin, you will need 1 teaspoons of castor oil.
- If you have dry or aging skin, use 1 teaspoon of castor oil.
Step 3. Choose your carrier oil and pour it in
Castor oil itself is drying even for oily skin. Here's a list of oils you can use, by skin type:
- If you have oily skin, add 1 teaspoon of any of the following oils: Argan, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
- If you have normal skin, add 1 teaspoons of any of the following oils: Argan, apricot seed, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
- If you have dry or aging skin, add 2 teaspoons of any of the following oils: Argan, apricot seeds, avocado, grapeseed, jojoba, sunflower seed, sweet almond, and tamanu.
Step 4. Use an oil-based facial cleanser to clean your face
The best time to use this facial cleanser is before going to bed. Simply massage the facial cleanser into your skin, then cover your face with a soft towel soaked in warm water. Wait a minute, then remove the towel. Wipe your face with a towel. Rinse the towel and cover it over your face for another minute. Do this repeatedly until all the oil is gone.
Some pimples may appear on your face after using this facial cleanser; it's just a reaction to a new treatment and it will go away on its own over time
Step 5. Use an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup
To remove makeup, just put a few drops of oil on a cotton swab. Then, wipe your face with the cotton. Rinse your face with warm water, then continue with moisturizing and toning.
Method 3 of 4: Making an Oat Flour-Based Facial Cleanser
Step 1. Prepare your ingredients
For this facial cleanser, you will use oat flour and almond flour. The almond flour will help exfoliate the dead skin cells while the oat flour will act as a natural facial cleanser. Here's what you need to make this facial cleanser:
- cup (40 g) finely ground oats
- cup (60 g) finely ground almonds
- Liquid – your choice (e.g. water, milk, lemon juice, witch hazel and so on).
Step 2. Find a suitable container
You won't finish all the oats and almonds at once; but you will only mix a small amount with a small amount of liquid each time you will wash your face. For this reason, you will need a container, such as a jar, to store the oat and almond flour.
Try decorating the jars by adding labels or tying thick threads around the necks of the jars
Step 3. Mix the oat flour and almonds
Measure out cup (40 g) of oat flour and cup (60 g) of almond flour, and pour both into jars. Close the jar tightly and shake to mix the two ingredients.
If you can't find almond or oat flour, you can make your own by grinding it in a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor. Make sure you grind each ingredient separately
Step 4. Consider adding an exfoliator and essential oil
These ingredients are not essential, but they can make your cleanser feel more luxurious and can exfoliate the skin. Herbs and essential oils will also give your cleanser a pleasant scent. Here are some suggestions for ingredients you can add, based on your skin type:
- If you have oily skin, add: 2 tablespoons fine salt, 2 tablespoons finely ground dried peppermint, and 5 drops rosemary essential oil (optional).
- If you have dry skin, add 2 tablespoons of powdered milk, 2 tablespoons of finely ground dried calendula, and 5 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil (optional).
- If you have combination skin, add 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons finely ground dried chamomile, and 5 drops lavender essential oil (optional).
Step 5. Choose your liquid type
In order for you to use this cleaner, you need to add a little water to it. Here are some suggestions on the types of fluids you can use based on your skin type:
- If you have oily skin, use lemon juice, rose water, water, or witch hazel.
- If you have normal skin, use glycerin, honey, rose water, peppermint tea, or plain water.
- If you have dry skin, use milk, cream or yogurt.
Step 6. Use your facial cleanser
moisten your face with warm water. Measure out 2 teaspoons of your homemade facial cleanser and add enough liquid of your choice to form a paste. You can stir the paste in the palm of your hand with your fingers, or you can stir it in a small bowl with a spoon.
Step 7. Massage the cleanser into your face
Use gentle circular motions, and make sure you avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes. The circular motion will help the almond flour exfoliate your skin.
Step 8. Rinse your face using cold water
Gently massage your face to clean the remnants of facial cleanser. Cold water helps close and tighten your pores.
Step 9. Dry your face
Use a soft, clean towel and pat your face dry. Do not rub your skin, or you will cause skin irritation.
Step 10. Consider continuing with moisturizing and toning
The moisturizer will help replenish your skin's moisture, and the toner will help tighten pores while restoring the pH balance.
Step 11. Save your facial cleanser
You've made enough to use a facial cleanser for a few washes. Make sure you cover the container when you are not using it. Store the cleaner in a cool, dry place.
Method 4 of 4: Making Another Type of Facial Cleanser
Step 1. Make an apple-based facial cleanser for dry skin
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and grind until smooth. Apply it evenly on damp skin and leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Here are the ingredients you need to make this facial cleanser:
- 2 slices of apple, peeled
- cup (125 g) plain yogurt
- tablespoon olive oil
- tablespoon honey
Step 2. Make a honey-lemon facial cleanser for oily skin
Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined using a fork or spoon. Massage this mixture into damp facial skin and leave it on for 30 seconds before rinsing it off with warm water. Here are the ingredients you need to make this facial cleanser:
- cup (50 g) whole ground oats
- cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- cup (60 ml) water
- tablespoon honey
Step 3. Make a cucumber based facial cleanser for normal skin
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and grind all ingredients until smooth. Apply this mixture evenly to damp face and leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Here are the ingredients you need to make this facial cleanser:
- cup (125 g) plain yogurt
- medium cucumber, diced
- 5 medium mint leaves, finely chopped
Step 4. Use unflavored yogurt to clean your face
You can use yogurt alone to clean your face or you can mix 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Lemon juice will not only give the yogurt a pleasant aroma, it will also act as an astringent; Lemon juice is very beneficial for dry skin. Simply apply the yogurt evenly to a damp face, being careful not to get in the area around the eyes, and rinse with warm water.
- You can also add 1-2 drops of essential oil to give the yogurt a more pleasant aroma. Consider an oil like vanilla or lavender.
- If you choose to use lemon, avoid the sun; Lemon juice makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Keep in mind that yogurt can lighten your skin tone. So, if you are proud of your tan, you better keep this in mind.
Step 5. Make a papaya-based facial cleanser that can restore skin
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until you reach a smooth consistency. Apply the mixture evenly to damp face, and rinse with warm water. Here are the ingredients you need to make this facial cleanser:
- 1 large aloe vera leaf, peeled
- 1 small piece of papaya, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon unflavored yogurt.
Step 6. Make a facial cleanser that stimulates the skin
Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth. Apply the mixture evenly to damp face, and rinse with warm water. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a month. Here are the ingredients you need to make this facial cleanser:
- 1 ripe tomato
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange, lemon, or lime juice
- If you use lemon juice in your facial cleanser, avoid being in the sun, as lemon juice makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight. This can result in serious sunburn.
- If you use yogurt in your face mask, be aware that it can lighten your skin tone.