Is your hair thinning and showing no signs of healthy new hair growth? If so, using Minoxidil could be the right solution for you. However, understand that for some people, Minoxidil may not work optimally and can cause negative side effects. One of the popular Minoxidil brands and already has a marketing authorization from the United States Food and Drug Administration is Rogaine. For men who want to overcome baldness due to genetic factors, and for women who want to thicken their hair, Rogaine is able to work optimally even though it comes with some warnings regarding health-related side effects. Interested in trying it? Read on for this article!
Method 1 of 3: Applying Minoxidil
Step 1. Wash your hair and scalp thoroughly
After that, dry your hair with a towel or a blow dryer as desired. Minoxidil can be applied to damp or semi-dry hair.
Step 2. Hand wash in cold water and dry well
Step 3. Prepare Minoxidil
Generally, Minoxidil is packaged in two forms, namely liquid (for men and women), and foam or foam (for men).
- To use liquid Minoxidil: Fill a dropper with 1 ml of minoxidil, or use 20 drops of minoxidil.
- Foam: Turn the bottle upside down and spray about bottle cap full of foam onto your fingers.
Step 4. Apply minoxidil to the scalp
Apply minoxidil evenly to areas of thinning hair; rub gently with your fingers. After that, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly.
Step 5. Let it dry
Let the minoxidil sit for at least 20-25 minutes or until the texture is completely dry. After the minoxidil has dried, you can add styling products such as gel or mousse. If used at night, apply minoxidil at least 2 hours before you go to bed.
Step 6. Repeat the process according to the recommended usage pattern
Generally, you only need to apply minoxidil twice a day, in the morning and at night. If you're not sure, try asking your doctor.
Method 2 of 3: Using Minoxidil Effectively
Step 1. Understand that the effects of minoxidil are temporary
Remember, minoxidil is not a cure for permanent baldness, and its effectiveness will be maintained as long as you use it twice a day.
Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to apply minoxidil twice a day. At the very least, do this until you feel completely used to it
Step 2. Use minoxidil according to the recommended dosage
Increasing the dose of minoxidil or increasing the frequency of use will not speed up your hair growth. Instead, you will just be wasting medicine.
Step 3. Don't double use minoxidil if you forget to apply it
If yesterday you forgot to apply minoxidil, do not double the dose today. In other words, always follow the recommended dosage of minoxidil.
Method 3 of 3: Understanding the Impact
Step 1. Prepare for more severe hair loss
Although it sounds contradictory, actually damaged hair needs to be removed first to trigger the growth of new, healthier hair. Generally, the hair loss will probably last for several weeks. No need to worry because it means you will soon get new hair that is healthier and stronger!
Step 2. Be patient
Generally, new hair growth will occur after four months, although it can be faster for some people. The texture of the newly grown hair will feel very smooth, thin, and soft.
Over time, the color, texture, and thickness of your new hair will resemble your real hair. To maintain hair growth, you must use minoxidil permanently
- If the results are not visible after four months, immediately consult a doctor to determine the level of effectiveness of Minoxidil on your condition.
- Minoxidil can reduce hair loss caused by genetic factors. However, these drugs cannot be used to treat temporary postpartum hair loss or to take certain medications. Remember, minoxidil is only able to treat hair loss that occurs on the scalp, not improve a receding hairline.
- Do not swim or wet your hair for at least half an hour after applying minoxidil.
- Minoxidil is safe to use on color-treated hair. However, you should not immediately apply minoxidil on the same day as the time of hair coloring so that your scalp is not irritated.
- Do not apply minoxidil more than twice a day. After all, using minoxidil in excess of the recommended dose will not accelerate your hair growth.
- Minoxidil should only be used on the scalp area.
- To prevent permanent hair loss, minoxidil must be used for life. Otherwise, all the new hair that has grown from using minoxidil will fall out again after a few months.
- Stop using minoxidil if your scalp becomes irritated, starts growing hair in unwanted places, or if you have other annoying side effects.
- Minoxidil should not be used by children. In addition, women are also not allowed to use products that are specifically intended for men.
- Some of the proven side effects of minoxidil are edema, salt and fluid retention, pericardial effusion, pericarditis, tamponade, tachycardia, and angina. In addition, the use of minoxidil is also able to increase the risk of heart disease or other cardiovascular disorders in patients who have poor heart conditions.
- For some people, Rogaine can not provide maximum benefits and cause some side effects.