Eye color is very diverse, from brown, green, to blue. While it's not safe to change eye color, there are ways to enhance the appearance of your eye color. If you want to know how to make your eyes stand out, keep reading.
Method 1 of 3: Beautify Eyes with Colored Contact Lenses
Step 1. Schedule an examination with an ophthalmologist
In the United States, a doctor's prescription is required to purchase contact lenses, even for contact lenses that are cosmetic and not corrective. During the examination, state your wants and needs.
Step 2. Choose the color and type of contact lenses
If your eye doctor approves your contact lens request, then you can then choose lenses. Colored contact lenses come in tinted and opaque options that can enhance or change the overall color of your eyes when you wear them.
- Tinted contact lenses will enhance your natural eye color with a transparent color. Since these lenses are transparent, your natural eye color will not change completely.
- Opaque contact lenses are available in a variety of color options, including special colors such as amethyst, violet, and green. Because of their cloudy color, this type of lens will change your overall eye color to the color of the lens.
Step 3. Use your contact lenses as directed
Follow your ophthalmologist's guidelines carefully when putting on and removing contact lenses.
- Always wash your hands before putting on or removing your contact lenses.
- Never sleep wearing contact lenses.
- Do not wear contact lenses while bathing or swimming.
Step 4. Take good care of your contact lenses
Depending on the type of contact lens your doctor prescribes, you may need to clean them daily. Improper contact lens care can lead to eye infections, so you should clean your contact lenses according to your ophthalmologist's guidelines.
Step 5. Talk to your doctor if there is a problem with your contact lenses
If you have any problems, or have any particular questions about your contact lenses, talk to your eye doctor.
Method 2 of 3: Beautify Eyes with Makeup
Step 1. Use eye shadow that can beautify your eyes
Some makeup companies issue eye shadow palettes that can emphasize the appearance of eye color. You can also choose complementary colors to brighten your eye color.
- For blue eyes, try terra cotta, bronze, copper, yellow, or peach colors.
- For green eyes, try purple, mauve, or rose tones.
- For brown eyes, try bronze, gold, or glossy earth tones.
Step 2. Apply concealer under the eyes
Using a concealer under your eyes will hide dark circles under your eyes, giving you a fresher look. Concealer under the eyes will also brighten your eye color and emphasize your eye makeup.
Step 3. Use a navy blue mascara
Instead of black mascara, use dark blue mascara to brighten and make your eyes appear lighter. Blue mascara will brighten the overall look of your eyes by making your eyeballs appear whiter.
Step 4. Use a skin tone or white eyeliner
Using a skin tone or white eyeliner on the inner edge of your lower eyelid will brighten your eyes instantly. White eyeliner will give a dramatic brightening effect, but skin tone eyeliner will lighten it gently, without causing an overly contrasting discoloration.
Step 5. Apply a navy or indigo eyeliner to the upper and/or lower lids to brighten your eyes
Just like black eyeliner, a dark color contrasts with your eye color, but blue will make the whites of your eyes appear brighter and make them appear brighter.
Method 3 of 3: Beautify Eyes by Changing Your Lifestyle
Step 1. Drink plenty of water
Meeting the needs of body fluids is important so that your eyes look bright and healthy. Drink water throughout the day to keep you hydrated.
Step 2. Consume plenty of vitamin C
Vitamin C is good for the blood vessels and capillaries in your eyes, so consuming plenty of vitamin C can help prevent your eyes from looking red or yellow. Take supplements or eat foods rich in vitamin C, such as citrus fruits.
Step 3. Avoid unhealthy foods
Fats and sugars are harder for the liver to process, so they can cause your eyes to turn red or yellow. Instead, try to eat more whole grains, fruit, and vegetables.
Step 4. Avoid caffeine
Caffeine can cause your body to become dehydrated, which makes your eyes appear red or dull. Stop or at least limit the consumption of caffeinated drinks to keep your eyes bright.
Step 5. Put on sunglasses
Sun, wind, and dust can make your eyes appear red. Protect your eyes from these dangers to keep them healthy and bright. Sunglasses can also help protect the skin around your eyes from the sun, reducing your chances of developing wrinkles around your eyes early.
Step 6. Get enough sleep
"The National Sleep Foundation" advises adults to get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Getting enough sleep will not only help you stay active throughout the day, but it will also help brighten your eyes.
Eye drops can temporarily relieve red and dry eyes. Special eye drops that can make your eyeballs appear brighter are also available
- Colored contact lenses must be purchased with a prescription even for cosmetic use in the United States. Never buy colored contact lenses at street vendors, boutiques, Halloween supply stores, the internet, or any other unlicensed store. Only a licensed optometrist can prescribe and sell contact lenses.
- Eye color change surgery has not been approved by the FDA and is not currently available in the United States. There are serious risks that come with this surgery, including blindness.