Witches are those who practice magic and are also wise in doing so. If you want to dress up in a costume to resemble a wizard, or simply adopt a wizard style, there are many ways to do this. Long, flowing robes and sleeveless coats can give the appearance of a witch. You can also wear wizard accessories, such as a long belt or hat. If you want, you can change your hairstyle and put on a fashion outfit that makes you look old and wise so much like a witch.
Part 1 of 3: Choosing a Witch's Outfit
Step 1. Try on a long, flowing robe
Witches often wear special clothes in the form of long, flowing robes. You can buy robes at a store that specializes in costumes or you can use the ones you have at home. If you can sew by hand or machine, you can also make your own robe according to your size.
- Making wizard robes is relatively easy. Fold a square piece of fabric in half and cut a hole the size of your head in one corner. Then cut the sleeves on the other two sides to form a triangle, and sew. Make sure you leave enough room for the arms.
- If you're buying a robe, or using a bathrobe, look for one in a color and style that's appropriate for wizards. Darker colors, such as blues and purples, will work best. You can also search for designs such as stars and moons.
Step 2. Add embellishments to the robe, if necessary
If your robe isn't embellished, consider decorating it yourself. If you, say, bought an old robe from a thrift store, perhaps you should decorate it with shapes that you make yourself so that it resembles a witch's robe.
- Try cutting the stars out with cardboard or felt-a non-woven, stiff, coarse-textured wool fabric-or buy star-shaped decorations at a craft store.
- Use a small amount of whatever glue you normally use in crafts-to attach the stars to your robe. If the stars are made of felt or another type of fabric, you can easily sew them.
Step 3. Add a sleeveless coat
To complete the cloak, most wizards wear sleeveless coats. You can make the coat yourself easily. You can also purchase a witch's coat at your local costume shop.
- You should work hard to get a coat that is full length (to the ankles) and pleated shoulders. You can buy such a coat at a costume store. If you don't have a costume shop near your home, buy one online.
- Choose a coat color like a witch outfit. Dark blue and purple are associated with witch outfits. You can also buy a coat decorated with something, like a star and moon, to give it a witch look.
- As with robes, you can always add felt stars or moons to the coat.
Step 4. Choose witch shoes
Witch shoes vary, but they have to look great. Dark or black boots/lars can be really cool wizard shoes. You can also try wooden clogs, as they have an old-fashioned look that will remind people of witches.
- You can stop by a shoe store or department store and browse through their selection of shoes, looking out for wizard shoes.
- You can also buy shoes online. However, be aware that shoe sizes vary depending on the type. Check the shoe size chart before deciding to buy one.
Part 2 of 3: Choosing Magician's Accessories
Step 1. Wear a long belt
Witches were known for the loose and long belts they wore. Choose a knit or cloth belt instead of a leather or plastic belt. The belt should wrap around your waist and not your hips, pulling the robe slightly toward your body.
- Most department stores and clothing stores sell loose, long belts that can wrap around your waist. Look for colors that compliment your wizard's cloak.
- You can also buy belts online. If you really want to enhance your wizard look, you can buy wizard belts from online costume shops.
Step 2. Buy a witch hat
Witches are known to wear long, pointed hats. Most conventional hat shops and department stores do not sell witch hats. Luckily, you can easily find a hat at your local department store.
- If you don't have a costume shop near your home, you can order hats online.
- Choose a slightly drooping pointy hat with a wide brim.
- If the hat isn't decorated the way you like it, stick or sew the stars as decoration.
- Choose a hat that matches your wizard's robe and coat.
Step 3. Consider a mask to complete your costume
If you're going to a costume party dressed as a witch, a mask might help. Many people think that witches are old and wise. You can buy masks for old boys/girls at most costume shops or online. The mask will help strengthen the wizard's appearance.
However, not all wizards are old. If you want to dress up as a younger wizard, you might as well forget the mask
Step 4. Buy or make a wand
Witches are known to carry magic wands. Most costume shops sell fake wands which you can buy for a reasonable price. You can also find wands at a toy store, especially if the store sells franchises like Harry Potter. If you can't find a stick that fits, make your own.
- Pipe cleaners can be used to make magic wands. Easy! You can twist/circle two (or more) pipe cleaners until you get a thick, sturdy stick. Next, attach the shape made of paper to the end of the stick. Shapes such as stars or balls would be perfect.
- You can decorate it with a star shape or ball that is coated with glitter powder (a colorful powder that glows when exposed to light). Using glitter will make the wand look shiny.
Step 5. Consider a piece of stick
Many wizards carry wands in addition to or in place of wands. If you want to amplify the look of a wizard, consider bringing a wand or a large pole.
- You can buy fake wands at a costume store or online.
- You can also use thick, large logs from your yard or garden. However, before bringing it into the house, make sure the logs are free from pests and dirt.
Step 6. Bring a book
You can buy spell books online or at your local costume shop. If you're going to a costume party as a wizard, it's helpful to bring a spell book with you. The spell book will make you look like a magician with a mystical appearance.
Part 3 of 3: Make Hairstyles and Make-up Resembling Magicians
Step 1. Lighten the color of your eyebrows
If you want to look older, you can whiten your eyebrows with white makeup. This move will really make you look like a wise old wizard.
- Use regular stick glue to cover your eyebrows. Let the glue dry. Next, cover the eyebrows with a light colored foundation.
- Then, use a makeup brush to brush a small amount of light-colored powder over your eyebrows. A brush of powder will fade the color of your eyebrows, making you look older.
Step 2. Use a dark eye shadow
Many witches have a darker and scarier appearance. If you want a darker witch look, choose a dark eyeshadow. Use black, gray, or brown eye shadow for a spooky dark witch look.
Step 3. Lighten the hair color on the face
If you have facial hair (beard or sideburns) you should lighten it. Lightening your facial hair can make you look like you have a gray beard, and look like a wise old wizard.
- Use a makeup brush to paint your beard with a light white makeup paint.
- Paint any visible facial hair to create an old witch look.
Step 4. Buy a wig
If you want to change your hair according to your costume, you can buy wigs. Most costume shops sell wigs in light gray or white. You can also buy wigs online.