An attractive and sturdy fence gate can be a beautiful addition to your yard, garden or field. Homemade gates can be made easily and can be modified for any size fence. The explanation below will show you how to make a fence gate for a garden. The size of the gate can be customized to suit your individual needs and the size of your property.
Method 1 of 3: Creating a Gate
Step 1. Cut the top and bottom of the board
Cut two boards that are 4 cm shorter than the distance between the posts. For example, if you want a gate that is 92 cm wide, cut the 88 cm board.
Step 2. Cut the two boards to your desired gate height
This board will be your vertical board.
Step 3. Create the gate frame
Line up the horizontal boards and vertical boards to form a rectangle. Nail the vertical boards to the horizontal boards so that the vertical boards are inside the horizontal boards. If you want a tall gate, you will need to place a stiffening beam in the middle.
Step 4. Add slats or pickets
Nail the board to your desired width and not more than 2.5 cm thick on the outside of the gate using 5 cm screws or nails into the top and bottom of the board. These boards can be nailed side by side, spaced fixedly, or irregularly spaced, depending on your desired design.
Method 2 of 3: Installing the Gate
Step 1. Attach the first part of the hinge to one of the fence posts
Usually, the installation is done simply by screwing the hinges to the fence posts. Follow your hinge installation instructions.
Step 2. Attach the second piece of hinge to one of the vertical boards of your gate
Step 3. Test the gate
Test your gate by swinging it back and forth a few times to see if the ground beneath the gate drags or if the posts move.
Method 3 of 3: Making the Gateposts
Step 1. Measure your desired gate width
If there is no fence to install the gate, you will need to prepare the fence posts first. The poles will later be used to install fences.
Step 2. Mark where the gate posts will be installed in the ground
If you don't have a fence post, you'll need a post to attach the gate to. Make a small hole in the ground with your roskam.
Step 3. Dig a hole
Dig a hole with the spade for your fence post in the place you marked with the roskam. In order for the pole to be planted firmly, this hole should be about 60 cm wide and 60 cm deep.
Step 4. Mix the concrete
You can simply use a simple concrete mix such as Portland cement. The amount of concrete needed will depend on the width of your fence post
Step 5. Pour concrete into the hole until it is half full
Step 6. While the concrete is still wet, place the posts into the concrete
The position of the posts must be strictly perpendicular to ensure that your gate can open and close properly.
Step 7. Fill the remaining hole with concrete and smooth the top with a roskam to form a flat surface
Step 8. Allow the concrete around the post to dry
Step 9. The gate has been installed
- Garden fence gates don't usually have to be sturdy. If you intend to keep animals in fences or keep people out, you will need to build a bigger, sturdier gate with better quality wood.
- If you wish to paint or decorate your gate, it is recommended that you do this before the gate is installed.
- Covering the fence gate with extra boards nailed to the diagonal planks will make your fence stronger, but will block views from outside or inside.
- Do not place the hinges on your fence posts too close to the ground as the gate will be difficult to move.
- Do not install the gate while the concrete is still wet. This will cause your fence posts to move and your gate to tilt downwards. Wait for the concrete to dry for at least 24 hours.