Covering books is always a great help for students who want to avoid damaging their school books. A book cover can also repair a book that has a damaged or worn-looking cover. Covering a book can improve the appearance and texture of the book. Whatever the reason for making a book cover, there are several possibilities when it comes to making one. You can choose the style and type of cover according to what you like the most. You have many options, from paper to flannel.
Method 1 of 4: Using Brown Paper
Step 1. Prepare brown paper, brown meat wrapping paper, or brown paper bag
All of these types of paper are great for book covers.
This type of cover can be left alone or made more beautiful by affixing stamps, painted, or decorated with a decoupage technique (gluing pieces of paper to an object and then varnishing or polishing it). You can also use other types of paper: gift wrapping paper, illustrated lettering paper, and any other type of paper that is strong enough to make a book cover
Step 2. Measure the cover of the book
Place the brown paper on a flat surface. Place the book in the center of the paper.
- If using a paper bag, the paper bag should be cut open so that it lays flat. Cut the handle too.
- The paper must be larger than the book so that it is sufficient to cover the book and produce a cover so that the skin of the book can be inserted into it.
Step 3. Draw horizontal lines on the paper along the top and bottom edges of the book
Use a ruler and pencil to make it.
This horizontal line will serve as a guide for folding the paper to help form the cover of the book
Step 4. Remove the book from the paper
Fold the paper at the top and bottom according to the lines made.
- The paper should be folded according to the horizontal lines just drawn.
- Note, folds can be made neater and smoother by using a bone folder. Bone folder is a plastic object that looks like a knife. This tool is used to create perfect creases and curves without cutting the paper.
Step 5. Place the book back on the folded paper
The back of the book should be on the paper. Place the book in the center horizontally.
Make sure the sides of the paper are the same length as each side of the book. Then make sure that the book is aligned so that the top and bottom line up with the folds of the paper
Step 6. Open the front cover of the book
Fold the left edge of the paper against the skin of the book.
With the cover of the book open, take the left side of the paper and fold it over the cover. If the paper is excess and the folds are too long than desired, trim the excess paper
Step 7. Close the book while keeping the paper folded against the skin of the book
Keep the left edge of the paper folded tightly in position.
- The paper must remain tightly folded against the front of the book. You'll need to reposition the book so that the paper doesn't tear at the back of the book.
- If the paper is too tight, move the book to make it looser. Books must be covered without tearing the paper.
Step 8. Open the back cover of the book
Fold the right edge of the paper.
- As you did with the front cover, fold the paper over the back cover. If the paper is too much, cut it off.
- Close the book to make sure the paper folds tightly.
Step 9. Insert each bookcase into the newly created folds of paper
Do this one at a time.
- The fold has produced the cover. Now each book cover can be tucked into the cover for a tighter fit.
- With the paper that has been folded neatly and the thickness of the paper being the main thing, the book cover does not need to be plastered. However, the cover can be plastered if necessary.
Step 10. Decorate or label the book
There is no limit to making the chocolate cover more attractive. The chocolate cover can be drawn, decorated with potato prints, or painted (however, do this before making the book cover). Or stick a label and write the name of the book on the label.
- Ribbon or braided tape can be attached to the spine to add effect and strength to the book. This is especially good if the book is being used for a wedding, guestbook, or other souvenir.
- You can also write the name of the book or the name of the class on the cover to make it easier to distinguish.
Method 2 of 4: Using a Plastic Cover
Step 1. Prepare the plastic cover
Thin plastic is probably the most standard cover for books. You can use contact paper (plastic used as a cover or base) with colored or clear adhesives. Or you can also use various types of plastic book covers that are not self-adhesive but are made for book covers.
- Other types of plastic can protect books. However, the use of non-adhesive plastic covers does less damage to books in the long run. If you want to remove the plastic cover, the non-adhesive plastic is easier to remove. You can also choose to make a protective book cover out of thick plastic.
- The chemicals in self-adhesive plastic can fade books. In addition, the use of self-adhesive plastic is not environmentally friendly for book covers because a recycled version of this kind of plastic has not yet been made.
- Regular plastic covers take a little effort but are easy to remove. You can also try covering the book with a plastic wrap cover.
- Contact paper is available in rolls. This plastic is usually available at any store that sells stationery or craft supplies. Most contact paper has a size printed on the back, which will help you straighten the plastic.
Step 2. Unroll the contact paper large enough for the book
Put the book on it.
Place the book in the center using the line on the back of the contact paper. If there are no guides, use a ruler. Think of this stage like gift wrapping
Step 3. Cut the contact paper from the roll
Leave enough room when cutting so that there is enough plastic to fold over the cover of the front book. This will release the roll from the plastic part to be machined.
Now the book is on a flat, empty plastic. There is excess plastic on the sides of the book
Step 4. Remove the book from the contact paper
Remove the contact paper from the backing if necessary.
If using self-adhesive contact paper that has a backing, you will need to remove it to expose the adhesive side. When placing the book back on the plastic, place it on the adhesive side. The plastic will stick to the book
Step 5. Place the book back on the plastic
Open the front cover of the book so that the plastic can be folded.
Fold the plastic into the inside of the front of the book. A piece of plaster needs to be glued to keep the plastic in place. Repeat with the back of the book. Do not glue the back cover of the book
Step 6. Cut each corner of the contact paper in a triangular shape
After the plastic is folded at the corners, there is excess plastic that needs to be trimmed and cut.
- First, make two cuts in the plastic on one side of the spine. Then, cut the plastic corners at the top and bottom of the book. Cut from a position so the scissors move to the corners of the book.
- The corners need to be cut so that the plastic layer inside the book cover can be cut easily. Fold the excess plastic over the top and bottom of the book.
Step 7. Cut the crease in the spine inside the cover
You'll see creases that are no longer connected to the plastic parts above and below the book.
Cut the creases on the spine of this book so you can fold the excess plastic
Step 8. Lift the bottom of the book from the plastic, leaving the folds of the front cover in place
The book needs to be lifted so that the creases on the cut back of the book are visible.
Then, fold the creases on the spine to the center. Gently move the book down on the plastic fold
Step 9. Fold the plastic folds at the top and bottom
The last thing that needs to be done is to open the book cover and fold the plastic parts into the book cover.
- Glue the tape over the plastic folds to keep it in place without having to glue it to the book if possible. Plaster can be difficult to remove from books, especially without causing damage.
- Check for air bubbles. Moving a ruler over the book's skin can usually remove these air bubbles. Now it's done.
Method 3 of 4: Making a Book Cover from Cloth
Step 1. Prepare the fabric
Use a piece of sewing leftover fabric. Or buy specifically a fabric that you really like.
Regardless of the type of fabric, covering books with cloth is a great way to keep books in good condition. Fabric can also add a personal touch that makes a book unique and special to you
Step 2. Choose the fabric
The fabric must be strong enough to protect the book, so avoid fabric that is too thin.
Also prepare a thin layer of cloth. This fabric is used to add rigidity to the fabric. The sheer fabric can be attached to the inside or under the fabric to help shape the fabric
Step 3. Flatten the fabric
Take the iron and flatten the fabric so that there are no wrinkles.
- Any wrinkles that arise when covering the book with a cloth will disappear.
- Try using a specially made wrinkle-free fabric to make the book-covering job easier.
Step 4. Measure the cover of the book
Lay the cloth on a flat surface. Place the book in the center of the fabric. Make sure there is excess fabric.
- Draw two horizontal lines on the fabric along the top and bottom edges of the book. Extend the edges of the fabric beyond the book to allow adequate room for creases on each side.
- For best results, make the folds at least 5 cm wide. For larger books, increase the width.
- Leave some space at the top and bottom of the horizontal stripes when cutting.
Step 5. Remove the book from the fabric
Cut the fabric to the new size, so that the fabric is larger than the book size.
The fabric should be excess when cut. Extra sizing of fabric also helps you to apply sheer fabric upholstery. When attaching cheesecloth, slightly fold the fabric around the cheesecloth
Step 6. Join the cheesecloth on the inner side of the fabric
This is the side of the cloth facing the book.
- Thin fabric has a rough side, that is, the side that sticks to the fabric, and a smooth side.
- Smooth the cheesecloth over the cloth with a damp cloth. Take the iron and iron it for 10-15 seconds. If the iron needs to be moved, lift it up and place it in a new place. Do not slide to heat the rest of the cheesecloth.
Step 7. Place the book back on the cloth
The side of the cheesecloth should still be facing up.
Thin fabric should not be visible. When the book is placed, it will be facing the thin side of the cloth. This means that when the cover is finished, the sheer fabric will be inside and out of sight
Step 8. Open the cover of the book
Place the front of the book and fold the left edge of the fabric.
- The left edge of the fabric should be folded against the skin of the book to create the cover. Then, using a pin, pin the folds of the fabric.
- The top and bottom edges of the fabric should slightly exceed the edges of the leather. Excess fabric is easy to pin without needing to embed the book cover.
Step 9. Open the back cover of the book
Fold the right edge of the fabric over the back of the book.
Repeat the same process for the other book skin, pinning the fabric
Step 10. Lift the book from its cover
Now there is the shape of a large cloth book cover.
Fold the extra fabric over the vertical edges of the leather. The excess fabric should be folded and pinned to the rest of the fabric
Step 11. Sew the fabric
Using the top stitch, sew along the top and bottom of the fabric cover.
Top stitch is a sewing method where the thread is above the edges of the layers of fabric. The stitches will hold the layers together
Step 12. Sew the pleats or covers
Make sure that all folds are sewn together.
- The top stitch will help connect all the folded folds. The end result is a large cover that the skin of the book can fit into.
- Do this for both sides. There must be two covers, each cover for each book cover must be sewn.
Step 13. Insert the book into the cover
Now the book is ready to be used every day until it wears out!
You can also reuse this cover for another book that is the same size as the previous book
Method 4 of 4: Making a Book Cover from Flannel
Step 1. Use a colored flannel for the cover of the book
Flannel is a strong and durable fabric for book covers. This type of cover is a great cover for children's books or notebooks that you often carry around in your bag.
If you can, use wool flannel instead of blended synthetic flannel, as it's much easier to work with. However, wool flannel also tends to be more expensive
Step 2. Use a flannel large enough for the book
The average size (thin book, notebook) is usually 21.5 x 30.5 cm. However, the size of the flannel needs to be larger depending on the size of the book.
The flannel sides should be large enough as they will fold over the edges of the book to create creases
Step 3. Place the book on its back
Fold the flannel cover. This will help determine how much flannel you need.
The book should be in the center of the flannel and should be opened stretched
Step 4. Trace the top and bottom of the book with a sewing pencil
This trace will show you where to fold the flannel for the top and bottom. Don't trace the vertical edges as these will fold to create creases.
- Any additional fabric width that extends beyond the vertical edges of the book's skin will form a crease. If using the flannel measurements given above, this extra piece should be about 5 cm on each side.
- Add 6 cm to the edges above and below the marked horizontal line. This extra measure will result in excess flannel to cut or fold.
Step 5. Cut the flannel
Spread the flannel on the work surface.
Now the flannel is a little bigger than the book
Step 6. Place the book on the flannel
Place it on the back of the book and place the book cover on top of the flannel.
Place the book in the center of the fabric so that each edge is the same size as the book and flannel
Step 7. Fold the left vertical side of the flannel
Take the part of the fabric that extends beyond the cover of the front book and fold the flannel. Pin the flannel with a pin in place.
- There should be excess flannel at the top and bottom of the book so that only the flannel needs to be pinned and not the book.
- Repeat for the right side, pinning the flannel in place. This results in a book fold or cover for the book's skin.
- Remove the book from the flannel. Remove the book from the flannel carefully and without removing the pins.
Step 8. Sew the top and bottom of the flannel
Secure each side and flannel fold with a seam, as this will bring the covers or folds together.
You can sew by hand or by machine, depending on the desired finish
Step 9. Trim the excess flannel above and below the sewing line
It's important to leave a little flannel above the sewing line and not to cut it too close.
Don't cut too close to the seam as there is a risk of cutting the thread and stripping the seam
Step 10. Insert the book into the cover
Close the book to make sure it is securely fastened. Now the book is well protected.
- A book cover can be a beautiful and attractive gift for a friend who is a fan of books.
- If you like using plaster duct tape for crafts, it's possible to make book covers from this material.
- Pockets can be added to the book cover if desired. This method is great for fabric book covers and flannel covers, which can be used to hold pens, erasers, or bookmarks.
- The fabric can be embroidered before being used as a bookmark. You can embroider your favorite icon, animal or plant, name, or any other object you want. The skin of the book needs to be centered first so that the embroidery is in the right place; Embroider after measuring and cutting the fabric but before sewing the pleats on the fabric. If using sheer fabric upholstery, embroider it before putting it together.
- If using plain paper, consider painting, decorating, or coloring the paper before making the cover.