The meter is a unit of length in the metric system. The meter belongs to the International System of Units (SI). Most countries around the world use the metric system (except the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar). If you live in a country that doesn't use the metric system, you may need to learn how to convert yards to meters. The formula for converting yards to meters is pretty simple.
Method 1 of 3: Converting Yards to Meters
Step 1. Count the number of meters every 1 yard
1 yard is equal to 0.9144 meters. Multiply 0.9144 by the number of yards to get the number of meters. The formula for converting yards to meters is: m=yd X 0.9144.
- This calculation was determined in 1958 in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- If you want to convert 100 yards to meters, just multiply 0.9144 by 100 (Answer: 91.44 meters).
- The formula for converting 2 yards to meters is 2 X 0.9144 = 1.8288 meters.
Method 2 of 3: Converting Meters to Yard
Step 1. Use division to convert meters to yards
To convert meters to yards, divide the number of meters by 0.9144.
- For example, the formula to convert 50 meters to yards is 50: 0.9144 = 54.68066492.
- Originally, the yard was the average length of a human footstep. Yard is a unit of length equal to 3 feet. You have to study the meter to determine other units of length, such as the newton.
Method 3 of 3: Using the Online Conversion Tool
Step 1. Use an online calculator
There are many sites on the internet that can automatically convert yards to meters. Sometimes, yards will be shortened to “yd” and meters to “m”.
- Some people need to convert swimming time from yards to meters. You can also use an online calculator designed to do this. Some online calculators can also make height adjustments.
- Online calculators are very easy to use and can usually do reverse conversions. Just enter the number of yards and the calculator will convert.
Step 2. Use the yards to meters conversion chart
If you don't want to calculate it yourself, or use an online calculator, you can easily find yards to meters conversion charts online.
- Generally, this chart lists the number of yards in the first column, and the equivalent number of meters in the next column.
- For example, some yard-to-meter conversion charts show each conversion from 1 to 100 or each conversion by 5 yards.