Just imagine this: you're fighting at a bar and you have to break a bottle of beer to scare your opponent. Unfortunately, the furniture in the bar is too beautiful to be hit with a bottle. So, what are you going to do? Of course breaking the bottle with his bare hands. At least, your opponent must be scared to see it. Do this and you might just get the girls' eyes on you! Or you can just wow your friends by showing you can do this! Whatever the reason, it's one of the great party tricks. It does take a little practice to get it right, but it's sure to amaze anyone watching. Keep reading this article!
Step 1. Fill a beer bottle with cold water
The colder, the better. Fill the bottle until the water reaches a height of about 5 centimeters from the mouth of the bottle. You can also leave the bottle still filled with beer for a more dramatic effect.
Step 2. Hold the bottle tightly
Wrap two fingers of your left hand (right hand if you are left-handed) around the neck of the bottle. This will prevent the palm of your hand from hitting the bottle shards if the entire bottle is torn apart.
Step 3. Ready, solve it
Hit the bottle mouth hard with your right hand (left hand if you are left-handed).
Step 4. Did the bottle break?
Check the bottom of the bottle that should have broken.
Step 5. Learn how this trick works
The bottle bottom broke due to cavitation. The bottle quickly and suddenly moves downwards when you hit the mouth of the bottle. The water in the bottle doesn't move as fast as the bottle, thus creating a brief space (vacuum) at the bottom of the bottle. If the force hitting the bottle from above is strong enough, the bottle will no longer be able to hold the water moving down and the bottom of the bottle will crack or break. Even if the crack is small, the inertial force and weight of the water will break the bottom of the bottle.
- Don't be afraid when you try this trick. Just know you're going to crack the butt of the bottle. If you hit the bottle gently, it won't break and your hands will hurt. You should be successful right away.
- You don't have to hit the bottle hard, but you do have to hit the bottle fast. Speed is more important than force to break the bottle's bottom.
- Always leave room for air near the mouth of the bottle for cavitation to occur. Without free space, you're relying on the force of the impact alone to break the bottle, and it won't work (unless you hit the bottle against a piece of furniture).
- There are some beer bottles that are harder to crack. Easy-to-break bottles include Becks and Sam Adams beers. Some of the thicker and harder to break bottles include Budweiser and Corona beers.
- Use only cold water to prevent air bubbles. Beer and other bubbly drinks will not work. To allow cavitation to occur, the liquid in the bottle must not bubble because if it bubbles, the air space in the bottle will immediately fill with foam. If cold water is not available, use bottled water or let tap water sit in the bottle for a few minutes.
- No sink? Does not matter! This trick does not have to be done in the sink. Instead of in the sink, you can do it over a bucket filled with water.
- Throwing broken bottles down the drain can damage the pipes. Cover the drain in the sink to prevent broken bottles from entering.
- Clean the sink immediately because anyone who uses the sink after you can tear their hands from broken bottles.
- Fill the sink with water to catch the broken bottles. The water in the sink will prevent the broken bottles from bouncing off your face.
- Don't do this trick when you're drunk. You might have to go to the hospital and have your hands stitched up.
- Be careful when cleaning the sink after doing this trick. Even the smallest shard of a bottle can tear your hand.
- Don't wear the ring on the hand holding the bottle!