If you're looking for a fun card game to play with friends, give UNO a try! Each player gets 7 UNO cards. To play, match one of your cards with the cards that have been issued. The first player to finish all his cards wins the game. After that, all players calculate their respective scores. The game continues until someone gets 500 points. Once you understand the basic rules of the UNO game, you can try variations of the game to enjoy new challenges.
Method 1 of 2: Enter the Game
Step 1. Shuffle the cards and remove 7 cards for each player
Prepare a pack of UNO cards and shuffle the 108 cards. After that, give 7 cards to everyone who wants to play. Ask each player to place their cards upside down (face down).
You can play this game with 2-10 players. Each player must be at least 7 years old
Step 2. Keep the rest of the cards in the center of the table
Make sure the cards in this pile are placed face down. As the game progresses, this pile will be used by the players to pick up new cards.
Step 3. Take and open the top card from the deck to start the game
Place the top card next to the deck of cards in an open position. This card is used to start playing and as the game progresses, it becomes a “throw away” pile.
Step 4. Remove the card according to the color, number, or symbol on the opened card
The player to the left of the shuffler or dealer must draw a card with the same color, number, word, or symbol as the face-up card in the center of the table. Ask him to place his card on top of the first discarded card. The next player then looks at the cards he has to look for cards that can be issued.
- For example, if the card that is exposed in the middle of the table is a red number 8 card, you can take out any number card that is red or any color card with an 8.
- The turn of the game usually goes counter-clockwise from the shuffler or spreader.
Players can also issue free cards, at any time if any.
Step 5. Take a card from the deck if you don't have a card that can be removed
When it is your turn and there are no cards of the same color, number, or symbol as the open cards in the center of the table, take one card from the deck and keep it. You can immediately play the card if one aspect is the same as the aspect displayed on the card in the middle of the table.
If you can't play the card, the next player gets a turn
Step 6. Watch the action cards and be free
In addition to the regular UNO cards that contain numbers, there are 3 types of action cards. If you take out a free card, you can decide which color to play on the next turn. If you take out a “Take 2” (+2) card, the next player must take 2 cards and his turn is skipped. If you issue a "Rewind" card, the direction of the turn is reversed so that the player who played before you issued a card again gets a turn.
- The “Rewind” card is indicated by two arrows facing opposite directions.
- If you take out a “Skip” card, i.e. a card with a crossed out circle, the turn of the player after you will be skipped.
Do you know?
When a “Free Take 4” card is issued, it has the same effect as a regular free card, but the next player must draw 4 cards and his turn is skipped.
Step 7. Say "UNO" if you only have one card
Keep playing a turn until a player has only 1 card. At this stage, the player must say “UNO”. Otherwise, he will get punished when other players find out.
If someone forgets to say “UNO”, give them two extra cards as punishment. If no one notices that he didn't say “UNO”, he doesn't need to be punished
Step 8. Play the last card to win the game
Once you have one card left (and you've said "UNO"), wait until it's your turn again. If you can get the last card out before everyone else finishes, you win the game.
- If you can't play your last card, take another card and continue playing until someone has finished all of their cards.
- If so, try saving the free card as the last card. This way, you can be sure that you can use that card as the last card and win the game!
Step 9. Count each player's points at the end of the game
The player who wins the game gets points from the number of cards left in the hands of the other players. Record points for each round and keep playing until a player reaches 500 points. The player then wins the game. For the score, the player who wins the round gets:
- 20 points for each “Take Two”, “Rewind”, or “Pass” card in the opponent's hand
- 50 points for “Free” and “Free Take 4” cards
- Points according to the number on the card (eg card “8” has 8 points)
Method 2 of 2: Trying Simple Variations
Step 1. Play two cards at once to speed up the game
To make the round go faster, ask each player to issue 2 of the same cards if available, instead of just 1. This means that each player can spend their cards faster.
- For example, if there is a yellow number 3 card on the table, the player can issue a yellow number 7 card and a red number 3 card.
- If you don't want to speed up the game, ask each player to take 2 cards (not just 1) whenever he has no cards to play.
Since you'll be spending cards faster, multiply the winning points to 1,000 points instead of just 500.
Step 2. Modify your own free card
If you play the new UNO card set, there's a good chance you'll get 3 free modifiable cards. To play this blank card, write down your own rules that each player can agree on. After that, you can play the card like a normal free card. For example, some rules you can apply include:
- Each player must take 2 cards.
- The next player must sing a song or take a card.
- Exchange 1 card with the player on the side.
Step 3. Exchange cards with other players if you get a “Swap Card” card
This card is a new special card included in the UNO card set. Play this card like a normal free card, but you can choose which players you want to exchange cards with.
For example, if you have this card, wait until the game is almost over and choose the player with the fewest cards to exchange cards with
Step 4. Play UNO games online or on an online game console
Don't worry if you don't find someone to play UNO with in person! You can do a search on the internet so you can play UNO online. If you want, buy UNO games to play on a PC or game console, like PS4 or Xbox One.